TOOL FOR REMOVING HOBBIT CLUTCH: PICS

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Here's a quick N easy clutch removal tool I made in about 15 minutes. I made it from stuff I had laying around. I started with a 3/4' pipe nipple, with the galvanizing ground off so there wouldn't be noxious fumes when welded. (Welding on galvanize produces a poison gas) ,A large washer, short piece of tubing & a medium size nut & bolt. The treads are not a perfect match, however when threaded down onto the clutch it grabs without hurting the threads. Tighten down the bolt on the end of the crankshaft & then give the end of the bolt a whack with a hammer. It just pops off. EASY I probably should have started a "show us you home made tools thread" I'll bet there's all kinds of them.

Re: TOOL FOR REMOVING HOBBIT CLUTCH: PICS

I think I bought a 24mm nut like 4 buck ea, Derbi and the honda are the same thread. Its 1.5 thread pitch.

1233296147_picture_009.jpg

Where did you find a 1.5 pitch nut?

General information:

Drink a glass of milk before you weld Galvanizd and you won't get sick. Used to do this when working as a boilermaker.

I'll get some and let you know.

Check Fastenal. It was the only place I could buy a single M12 x 1.0 axle nut (instead of a box of ten).

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I forgot to mention or show that the end of the bolt. I tapered it to match the indent of the crank so it was on center. Did anyone have any luck with my method?

I'll be making this next weekend....

for your M24-1.5 nut needs, Google found them for 95

Or just go to any local hardware store. The ACE Hardware down the road has misc. nuts and bolts for 15-75 cents a piece. They carry all sizes and pitches, a real godsend when it comes to resurrecting cannibalized bikes.

dudes u can remove the honda clutch with 2 flatheads a hammer and some mapp gas.

davey and I did it on his bike 2 days a go so easy!

Ok, so I attempted to use this technique, but it was unsuccessful. The threading on the pipe fitting didn't mesh well enough with the clutch to get it to come off. However, when scrounging around my house, I found that the fitting off of a sink had a pretty much perfect match! it is the part that holds the control arm for the drain plug in the down stem of the drain. I'm going to try to braze up a tool in the next few days and report back with my findings... unless i get bold or anxious and try elliot's trick!

@elliot: any more details on this little trick of yours?

yeah some once u at the clutch where u need the puller tool, put the clutch nut back onto the crank and screw it down till its flush with the end of the crank.

now mapp gas the crank around the area where the clutch is attached. get it nice and hot.

the last step helps if you have a buddy, but basically get 2 large flathead screwdrivers and position them on either side of the clutch under it use either the engine fins and or the sub frame whatever as the pivot point and push both in at the same time with a bit of strength, in so that the are applying pressure on the back side of the clutch in attempt to push it off the crank (kinda like a 2 jaw puller would work).

at the same time you are using the screwdrivers take a hammer and lightly tap onto the end of the crank where you placed the clutch nut, this tapping while applying pressure will literally knock the clutch loose from the taper fit and it will pop right off.

worked great on daveys super hobbit and took no time at all.

This is a great DYI hond clutch puller, if you have access to welding.

Is there any other methods for removing the clutch?

Not sure how I feel about pipe thread on metric thread...

Glad it worked for ya though!

-Brian- The Ruffians STL /

Shawn Barcroft Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is there any other methods for removing the

> clutch?

Yeah, any one of the widely available honda clutch tools.

Buy a puller , dude.

Just seeing if there were any other methods.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I only did it knowing that's what I had at hand for the moment. Since, I've gotten the right threads on a new tool. The old one didn't seem like it was putting too much stress on the threads, or I wouldn't have done it. Remember this is MA, & you do what has to be done sometimes.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account