Re: My Head is Spinning - Moby shit.

also remember you can adjust the preload on the spring as well. One of the springs I have tried takes ~27 lbs to move it 1". I will see if I can't test the doppler spring sometime hear and see how much force it takes at 1" and 2" etc to see what the scale is. I still like my other idea better, if it works.

-naz

Tried out my 40 lbs of dampened load on my Peugeot motor, so far seem much better behaved then a un-dampened spring. If things go well I might try sending them off for testing, or it will be another failed attempt.

-naz

Oh yeah, I put in a weaker spring and my bike has become much more tunable and pulls way better now. Now I just have to find the prefect balance between acceleration and top speed.

I want both.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

i had the same problem for a while with my variotop too. i tried all kinds of things. different belt widths, weights, even homemade super weights. then i tried bending the springs in and out. but all that did was set the static placement of the motor in a differant place with the same problem.

what was the cure? getting rid of the clutch pulley and adding the stock pulley. sure, i had no idle, BUT, it ripped like never before, variated fully, didnt bang the pulley, gained 5 mph, and alligned perfectly.

small price to pay to have to kick off at a stop. but, just another example of how my clutch pulley was nothing but trouble.

Doppler spring=

~32 lbs +-2 lbs to compress 1"

~65 lbs +-3 lbs to compress 2"

Total Spring length is 7"

-naz

it also looks like McMaster-Carr has spring very similar to the doppler spring except the length. It would need to be cut down to the 7" to make it the same. Coils per inch, wire diameter and and outside diameter all match up.

-naz

My clutch pulley blasts! It has been nothing but fun!

Another thing I was thinking about is how much resistance is caused by other factors, such as how your pipe swings, the weight of the variator itself, how your engine is mounted, etc...

I wonder, how much those things factor into the total resistance?

if u set it up right there should be very little resistance from moving parts, if there is significant resistance ur not set up right

thx naz 4 measurements

I can drop a part number if anyone wants. Oh and Elliot is right on the moving parts, remove your spring every so often and check for binding of components, there should be none.

-naz

yeah, I wouldn't think so, but I'd through that question out there.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account