Dellorto 14:12?

How big can you bore a Dellorto 14:12 ? Without going into the danger zone.

Re: Dellorto 14:12?

1.25 Inches. Fact.

1.25" = 31.75mm = LOLZ

I'd say 14.14 is as far as one can go without risking screwing anything up. to go any further you gotta pull the emulsion tube, which requires heating things up and pulling without pinching, plus there's that tiny hole that you can't see that sits oh-so-close to where you're boring.

If you're willing to go into the danger zone, I'm betting you could go 15, maybe even 15.5

15.63 I belive , But you cant just drill out the original hole . You need to offset it to miss that little hole . A drill press and a special set of boring bits .

One of the Denver dudes did one for me . He works at a machine shop . Cool dude , does nice work too . Rickus is his name . I think he charges like 15 or 20 to do it up .

Vlado vlado /

I do it by hand drilling routinelly, ending at 16mm using various bits, rasps and sand papers without taking out the tube; takes time and patience/finesse, but results are worth it

If you bore a 14.12 out to 16, do you modify the intake clamp to fit bigger intakes? Or can you just slide the plastic gushing out? (I'm too lazy to walk all the way out to my work area and see for myself.)

Vlado vlado /

it makes no sense to get larger intake than 16mm; I slightly enlarge the pipe too by using the same drill and making sure that plastic sleeve does not oversadows the diameter of the pipe- sand it to the same size.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

or if youve got em laying around, put a 14.12 emulsion tube into a 15.15.

give you better idle circuit and low end

from what i hear and have experienced this is much easier to do on a bing, and you can go larger.

Vlado vlado /

could you tell us how you take emulsion tube out?

it would let me drill more in; is there some trick like heating the carb and so on...?

thanks!

I think most folks would agree that D'Os are superior to Bings, except when it comes to ease of modification.

Kelly, what's the deal with the emulsion tube swap? I got a 16.16 I'm installing, and a shoebox full of 14.12 parts...

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

ive just noticed that 14.12's have better idle circuits for mopeds, as the 15.15s and such were designed for pocketbikes and scooters.

its just a theory, but im always way richer at idle on 15.15's

also, the french know about this too. av10's work better with 14.12 carbs

hmm... I had a 14.14 last summer that was crap for idling... I'm pretty sure I had an air leak though. I was running like an 83 jet on 50cc's. LOL

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

I have found that the SHA 15/15 is better for export timing of 172+ deg's for 50cc / 168+ deg's for 60cc / 164+ deg's for 70cc / 160+ drg for 80cc.

Low end power sucks on 50 and 60cc peds with SHA 15/15's .

I get beter power with SHA 14/12 taper boar 16mm in 13.5 at venture 3mm from tube 14or 15mm out.

I have a V1 78cc with SHA 14/12 taper boar 16mm in 13.5 at venture #62 jet 47+MPH.

I need to try the 14/12 to 15/15 tube swoop .

Thanks

Fast Bat out

1233171403_dsc00314_edited.jpg

Dukes(mrdr 133) /

dellorto's require you removing the emulsion tube with a blowtorch, and needle noses. then you can safely do it to 15:15 without having to get a new slide. i posted a thread about how to do it, ages ago. search for it!

Dukes(mrdr 133) /

it has tons of pics, and it's step by step. MAgoogle that shit in the performance section. it's a write-up for vespa's but it's there.....somewhere

A 9/16" drill works out to about 14.25mm.

Worked well for me.

I had to heat the carb body in the oven set at 350 Degrees for about 20 minuted to get the emulsion tube out. Before you pull it make a note on how the holes in the tube are oriented so you can put it back in properly.

maitland this is a very interesting observation. but have you concluded that a del 15 w/ a 14.12 emulsion tube is better than just using a stock 14.12 on the same setup? im just curious as to which is the more important variable... the size of the carb (14.12 vs 15) or the emulsion tube used..

are the emulsion tubes in anything 15+ the same?

i have all sorts of del parts at home i will give this a whirl

bump

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

well you want a larger venturi for more air/fuel flow. The 14.12 emulsion tube should give you better low and mid range and the larger carb size will give you the better top end.

at least thats how it should work in theory

that sounds like a great comprimise, worth a try. ill be putting a 14.12 emulsion tube in a 16mm dellorto, though.

Dukes(mrdr 133) /

"here you go guys":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/121263/121263/

check that link out, should help out a little bit. there are some visuals that in there from the basic ass write up i did, with my cuzzo helping me translate dutch forums

You mentioned a small hole, is this in the body of the carb. or are you refering to the small hole in the emulsifier ?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account