first performace post! Q's on drilling intake/carb

got a couple questions. im going to drill the intake on a vespa engine to 13, but the way its drilled already is off center, do you think it will matter much?

1232918355_p1010051.jpg

Re: first performace post! Q's on drilling intake/

next question: when i am filing, what do i file exactly? it tapers in on the sides, im sure not to open it up sideways more, but could i steepen the angle of the taper?

1232918511_p1010053.jpg

last question, on the carb, im going to drill out to 13, like on the wiki. is this spot, in the center of this pic going to be a problem? i dont know how close its going to get to the end of that wall. sorry if that doesnt make sense.

1232918676_p1010055.jpg

If it's badly off center to begin, with you might make one wall too thin & break through the side. Use a drill press & drill press vice.

Clamp it down tight. Offset the bit to make the hole where you want it. Those castings are really soft aluminum, drills out easy.

File the case intake up & down to increase that taper not side to side. You got the right idea. Just be aware of how much material your removing. Or else you will end up with a pricey new Ashtray.

cool. my common sense is pretty common then! I went to my grandpas tool shed and used his drill press. I only did the carb, because his drill press was kinda sketchy. the carb turned out nice. I'll have to go somewhere else to do the intake, I still havent taken the cylinder studs off it yet though.

Have you opened the crank case? Cause the only way to file that intake is to crack your case open and pull the crank out then drill the intake to 13mm & file the tapered sides. (If it is the same as the ones I'v done.) It's can be tricky the first time. Look up vespa moped engine rebuild on youtube.

yup, pulled the guts out. i'll check out that video, probably get to doing it today.

Sounds like you got it under control. Are you putting a kit on it?

I just rebuilt one like this W/a Race crank & Malossi 64cc and case matched the ports. Its pretty freakin fast. But I got no speedo and Im still breakin it in.

So I Dont know my top speed

I did my intake with a dremel so that I could make the intake centered. there's not allot of wall thickness so be careful whatever you do. in the inside. elongate the slot (see how there's room on one side) about 5mm. like you said no fatter. Smooth the inside so that it flows nicely no sharp corners or bends (be aware of how deep you are going!). finnish it off with 400 grit. it'd be good to have some tinny files,80,100,220 grit sand paper on hand too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account