Walbro carb/Juice Box/X-Can

Has anyone ever tried running the Puch E50 with a Walbro pulse carb, with a Juice Box, and an X-Can exhaust?

Re: Walbro carb/Juice Box/X-Can

bump

no long term successes with diaphragm carbs. Lots of people have tried, it just doesn't work really well on most moped motors.

I ran a Puch with a Metrakit with a with a 20mm tilliotson pumper carb last season. It worked pretty OK.

Pros

- At WOT it was awesome

- It was easy to tune (external set screws). I could go from totally untuned to rideable in like 20 min.

- If I ran it a little lean I had great low end throttle response.

- Its a small carb that you can mount upside down and sideways.

Cons

- It was easy to tune (external set screws). I was always messing with it during rides. Hard to set and forget.

- I had to run it a little lean to get great low end throttle response.

- It sprayed gas out the back like crazy. You could see the mist. I had gas-leg all the time. An air filter helped this a lot.

- There was a dead spot in the mid range that was hard to get rid of.

- If it sat for a while (like a week) you had to pump it like crazy to get it to start. Like maybe a block. After that it was quarter kick. I think either I wasn't getting enough pulse from the intake or oil seeped in and filled the little spaces between the pumpers.

I uploaded an image of it mounted. I'd say it was pretty fun for 25 bucks on ebay.

1232955825_9.jpg

This was my set up.

Always thought it would work better with reeds, but you would have to bypass them for the pulse signal. But yeah, fog of gas always, filter would get wet, too easy to fiddle with and I also had a problem that once the ped got hot, it wouldn't work as well.

Thanks for your input guys. Walbro has come a ways with their carbs. To stop the spray they have return to tank tubes. I'll just run that under the front of the tank and drill for a small nipple at the top underside. They are great on Go-Peds in all rpm ranges, and easy to adjust and set. I plan on using a reed with mine along with a juice box. I have one on order; it's a HDA225-1 with a 20.56mm throttle body and 16.77mm venturi. Will also add a velocity stack to the package. Should be more than adequate for a ported OEM 50cc cylinder with a stuffed crank.

I'm going to try an X-Can exhaust with long(6in) stingers and an X-Port manifold. Can always go a different route with the pipe if need be; but should have excellent bottom end/torque with good topend as well. This is going on my kickstart E50 and should make for a nice compact powerplant.

more pics

another one

and the last one

Shit, These pics must be encrypted. I'll try a different tac latter.

for some reason this site only likes jpg nothing else :S

How do I load images directly onto the page?

From some of problems people reported sounded like miss adjusted carbs. Those carbs actually have 3 major adjustments. One of them is internal and takes a pressure gauge.

-naz

...Punching you in face...

Yeah, adjusting the needle valve pressure is a pain in the ass. That's the part that finally made me just quit them.

I had someone else check the pop-off pressure when I rebuilt the carb and it was in the range of what people were telling me it should be on karting fourms. I don't have my own pop-off gauge so I never tuned it after that. It could have helped.

Also these carbs are famous for being difficult to tune the mid range. I read a bunch of times about people cutting a little notch in the throttle butterfly valve to fix this but I didn't try that either.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

you're likely to see a lot of tilliotson pumper carb powered mopeds pretty soon. turns out if you do a good job, they work awesome

I guess the kitty is out of the bag at this point.

-naz

bump

yea Dean

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

i don't know what you guys are talking about.

Tell me more about this throttle notch thing

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account