Any thoughts on pulling a bike trailer?

i know that this isnt really performance, but i didnt get much of a reply on gf.

as most may know, im going on a long trip and just had the idea to use a pull behind bike trailer for storage. any ideas on this? i know that safety is an issue, and im looking into that as we speak. just need some ideas. thanks

Re: Any thoughts on pulling a bike trailer?

mark from our branch has one he pulls his dog in it...

can you see if you can get me a pic of the rig and the attaching bracket? thanks!

shoot it to my email.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I have been pulling a trailer, with ALL my gardening equipment/lawn care, for several years. I wouldn't hesitate to go on a long trip with one. Actually, I 've got 2 trailers. The one I just mentioned & a small one, converted from one of those 3 wheel kiddie pusher things, with the front wheel removed. I've got to admit, since I started riding mopeds, over 10 years ago, I hardly ever use a car, even if I have to haul stuff around. The only exception is if I have to get lumber or something like that. I just LOVE mopeds.

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I'll have to post some pics in the next few days.

A fellow by the name of Paul up here pulled one with his Qt to Alaska and back. A tool universal joint makes a good tow joint

Man I want a trailer that I can use to tow a ped with another ped.

quick-connect training wheels with a quick-connect tow hitch...

What about suspension?

I'm pretty fearless about doing 40 on my bike (I wil lamely try to pull out my motorcycle insurance policy and liscence endorsement).

Point being, I have a CycleTote aluminum trailer for my mountain bike. I've checked on the tires, and they can handle 40 safely.

But what about suspension? Is this an issue?

Some states require you to register a trailer, for even a ped...

Garodney Gentzel Motor City Riots /

At WB3, Ryan pulled this 7 miles threw the city to loan it to someone who needed a bike for the rally....... The whole way it was swimming behind him like a fish out of water......top speed 15 swaying like mad.!!!!! STOPPING almost tipped 3-4 times...

1271701688_bad_idea.jpg

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

if you have a seat post some of the bicycle trailers mout to the seat post.

An air fitting makes a good quick connect. if you are building it, wheel alignment is pretty big deal- make sure they both toe in about 1-3 degrees, and they both are the same side to side. One wheel, no alignment problems..

holy f'n awesome... the moped tow dolly is a great idea, it would be great to go pick up my bicycle when i get too drunk to ride home and have to bum a ride and leave it locked somewhere.

i've ridden while holding my bicycle in one hand, and its mad unstable over 15. i think suspension would be key.

i have pulled one of the pike trailer's the one to hold 2 kids for 40mils at 45+ and it was fine i just put the best tires on it i was able to find

thats a good point about the toe-in.

i was thinking i'd use a chunk of hydraulic hose for a flex coupler, i have a lot of it around at my job, and when it has ends crimped on, it can take 1000's of lbs of tensile force with just the right amount of flex. Using a QD to hold it on is an even better idea.

i'd really like to incorporate some sort of torsion spring sytem, with cantillevered trailing arms, so the wheels can articulate independently

Pulled a Burley behind my PA50I It was a breeze. The next model up had suspension. I would say the trick is, as with any trailer, to keep the centre of gravity ahead of the axle. It looks like Ryan's trailer neglected that principal. Nonetheless I'm impressed with it!

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Yard work trailer

wow ian, nice rig!

i have thought about this alot

look at pic attached. i have a buddy who made a trailer and bought this hitch and it works wonders. i want to get this thing and start using a trailer for food not bombs.

oh yea. company site is http://www.bikesatwork.com/

anyone else got pics of hitches?

1271894185_biketrailerhitchonframe450x600.jpg

oh yea. my friends is mounted to a qt50. not in the picture though.

My idea is to use a unicycle. Pretty ideal. Light, one wheel with bearings, simple design. I'm laying it down on it's side and welding a rack onto it. I've been trying to draw up a good mounting system to hook it up to a maxi/magnum swingarm.

so what ever happened to dave kitts ??

http://www.haulincolin.com/trailers-gallery.html

other guy in my shop makes trailers all the time for bicycle people in town. The electric assist ones can push you up to about 25 mph pretty easily.

Oh and the universal joints for tools etc don't hold up very long, even the larger ones. He uses a Rod End(Heim Joint) into a pressed fit sleeved into a aluminum piece that mounts to the bike. The trailer has pin that drops in to connect and disconnect and usually a quick connect to a third brake mounted onto the trailer.

-naz

My idea was to use a car's 50 mile an hour spare donut tire for a one wheel trailer. And a ball joint for a hitch. Also, it's true about the center of having to be in the front with two tires. other wise it'll wobble.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account