PHBG 16mm carb starting problems

Is it me or do other people have a crucially hard time starting their PHBG 16mm or 19mm carb? It takes me a good 15 minutes to get it running on choke. Any secretes besides the 'dont give it gas when its on choke' approach.

Reason I say this is, my Sabre left my stranded today....yes it was about 32degree out but it had been ran for an hour or more!

Re: PHBG 16mm carb starting problems

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

upsize your pilot jet

Atomization might be crap at that temp

yeah in general at cold temps/cold starts gas droplets clings to the cylinder walls as condensation and doesn't mix will, and leaning out the firing charge. so ive read. upjet. or run with choke. if in general it has a hard time idling though after warm up check for leaks.

Well with the pseudo original carb I never needed the choke and i could just sit on the bike, push with my feet and drop the clutch and off we go. This PHBG takes a lot of fricken effort to get started. Wasn't sure if others shared the same opinion. Unfortunately I cant kick over my bike and I have to push it and drop the clutch......no imagine doing this down town in a semi busy city....hmmm

its better to use the choke to start a bike. it sounds like it might still be too lean of a starter jet. try a bigger one.

Yea man I have to use the choke to start my bike even when it's warm, a bigger starter jet might help out

Baltard Drought /

with my carb on my pug, which i dont think is stock, my bike wont start without the choke on..

So i think thats norm?

i thinik thats the way you want it .so it wont start unless u choke it.i think that means its tuned right.

Well I should say I have a pretty rare Sears Sabre and though its a kick start, the rotation sucks and i just end up pushing it to get it started. Like I said its not tuned all the way (havent had a chance to really do a idle check and a WOT check.) Thanks for the words of encouragement, wasn't looking forward to using the stock carb...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account