Tomos A3 Upgraded, Now Running Poorly

I have a 1991 Tomos Bullet with an A3. I switched the stock dellorto with a 15.15 SHA and added a Techno Bullet pipe. The Stock carb had a 56 main and the new 15.15 has a 68. When I crank her up, she will rev up and idle really high. Which scares me! Idle screw is turned out and throttle cable is not pinched or stuck. It performs poorly aswell and pulls itself on idle. Is the 68 jet causing this high idle and giving it too much gas? What would be a proper jet to try?

Re: Tomos A3 Upgraded, Now Running Poorly

air leak somewhere. run you bike then spray carb cleaner around any places that air could escape. ie. carb/intake or intake/cylinder or cylinder/head or cylinder/case or airfilter/carb. if there are bubbles or your engine dies then there is an air leak.

It never idled high like this before? I mean would a big jet cause a high idle?

no but putting on a 15.15 SHA incorrectly might have made an air leak which will make it idle. make sure you have a gasket and the carb is on there tight (don't strip any screws)

Carb and intake are tight and manifold gasket is intact.

Tight doesn't mean anything... Does the 15mm have the plastic shim in there? Plus you will probably need to rejet. Did you check to make sure that the throttle slide isn't stuck?

I sprayed carb cleaner around the carb where it connects to the mani and motor died down. So I must have a leak there...But why everything is tight?

It's got the shim, but I did port the manifold inlet with a dremmel. I mean I didn't go overboard but the wall is thinner..

Some carbs are prone to air leaks or the cylinder may just have a leak in the cylinder.

Put RTV silicone to seal the seam on the clamp of the carb.

See photo

1229562472_dellorto17.jpg

I put RTV on EVERYTHING. I pour that shit all over. Ugly as all hell, but no air leaks!

I fixed that air leak at the carb with a thicker o-ring and smashing the carb against the intake then tightening it very tight as I pressed it on. I hate SHAs.

phpg or oko= sweet

SHA=sucks ass

Well I just bought the SHA so that makes me feel very warm inside...I am going to make it work. I put the stock carb on and lined the shim with some RTV and will try it out in the morning. With the stock cylinder and manifold, I couldn't do a PHPG could I? I'm not into fabricating either...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account