Polini Garelli VIP 65cc Kit, Install Day.

I installed the Polini Garelli 65cc kit today on my Avanti Super Sport VIP 2 speed. The only other modification needed besides the kit itself, was drilling out the stock 54 jet to a 64 with only the airbox, no filter.

I must say that just bolt-on, this kit gives some longer legs to the VIP. If you have a VIP, and can find this kit, I highly recommend it as I hope/expect to be in the 50's after completion and tuning.

I plan on installing one of the nice Polini VIP intakes, which they still make. And I was going to go Dellorto for the carb, but what I'm wondering is:

Does anyone have a line on older Polini Exhausts, specifically Part #200.0008, or a good suggestion for a pipe? I want the Polini because it comes with a proper header obviously, but the current setup is a 2-piece with a coupler. I could put just about anything on the existing header.

Suggestions Please!

Special thanks to: Mike Thomas for guidance and assistance. And to the Rafter for selling me the kit!

Re: Polini Garelli VIP 65cc Kit, Install Day.

Welcome to the slippery slope of lusty moped speed

Congrats on snagging that kit!

I had a similar setup a few years ago. 65 Polini, 17mm Amal carb, and Polini pipe (chamber dimensions were Biturbo-ish) on my Avanti. The Polini pipe for the VIP is very hard to find. However, that's not such a bad thing, as that pipe is very one dimensional. It has a a really short header, which absolutely kills low end (even with a 2 speed).

Yea I agree on the short header. The 200.0008 pipe has a really long header, so I was kinda crossing my fingers someone still has one laying around somewhere.

It's shitty that the header for this engine has that threaded nut on it, because I don't know if I'll be able to find a bigger header to go with a nice pipe.

proma makes a chode pipe for the vip.

angelo hooked it up for a buddy of mine.

Who's Angelo? I'd like to ask him where to get a line on one.

Chode = Choice?

Terry, email me, I gots his contact... he just got in some Garelli stuff... Chode = short and stubby

no chode = short and fat pipe.

If you really want to rip, forget about those crummy Polini pipes, save up an extra hundred or so dollars and buy a Motomatic N8P. All around awesome pipe and they're sturdy as hell and will last you forever. I'll be conducting some R&D with that pipe on my VIP soon. I'll let you know how it performs. If you want some instant pipeage though, just weld a biturbo chamber or something similar onto your header.

You can't go wrong if you get the PHBG dellorto set-up with the Polini side intake, the only crummy thing is that the intakes only have an 18mm inside diameter. In the meantime though, just remember to make sure you aren't running too lean with that stock dellorto without an air filter. However, those kits are tanks and can take a lot of abuse. You got a damn good deal on that kit! Good luck!

Steve=VIP expert

Steve, where might I fond one o' those pipes? I'd like to get a peek at pricing and pictures.

You'll want to talk to Rafter and Nate. Reviews of the pipes have been on the forums (N8P and Destroyer pipes). Basically, they can make those pipes fit on almost any moped, it takes a series of precision cuts, turns, and welds. You've got to see the new N8P Hobbit pipes, they're completely insane. Here's a link to the Motomatic Mopeds website

Those are some big transfers!

I'm bummed i lost the auction for this kit, but im looking forward to see what you do with it.

heres a pic of the proma pipe.

I wish bennasar racing made VIP pipes sine they manke noi ones, but oh well. I think Im gonna cut and weld a chamber on my VIP project since I'm not very fond of the pipe selection I've seen.

Oh terry, we're building the same pipes fool, thats whats on the maxi! Im gonna be making another batch here soon, the barreta needs one, john needs one, you.... Tom Cruiser member pricing is cheap, $60 or a hand job!

1229303038_poopoo.jpg

And those transfers are huge, must be a garelli thing cause my noi was the same. The case openings are the size of the polini kits! Puts puchs transfers to shame....

Just a word: Make sure your clutch doesn't go clickety clank ever..... you'll tear it up even faster if you don't get the clutches right and tight. Also, be sure to run rich from the start. Skip tiny pipes altogether - clue: there is a polini circuit pipe (NOT the country pipe) floating around overseas. Zach and I just got one....

Martin is right, and for the love of God, use 30 weight Non-detergent. It'll keep your clutches nice and new, not chunky and obliterated.

I think that Polini circuit is the 200.0008 I mentioned earlier. Looks really nice, but it's discontinued as far as I can tell.

Where did you get yours Martin? Ebay?

try ebay.it , land of the exotic italian goodies.

Treats dude. Treats. RIGHT NOW.

Eyeballed, drooling, might have to go broke this pay cycle.

I love the gold nut!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account