Pet peeve. Learn yr PHBG jets.

......ok. this has to stop. pilot jets and idle jets are the SAME THING. they are also sometimes called "slow" jets. the other big one at the end, often the 60 that everyone keeps mislabeling as a pilot.... is called yr Choke jet or your Starter jet.

sorry most of you already know this.

Re: Pet peeve. Learn yr PHBG jets.

to really hit it home. here is a pic

1229188546_cimg4700yo9.jpg

nerd. hahaha you took the time to make that cute lil photo.

to the ppl: stop talking about jetting on the forum. if you are asking about jets then you shouldn't be tuning a moped.

How are people going to learn if they don't ask about jets? Also its nice to have a starting point for new jetting when you're put on a kit and carb.

Partially true but I didn't learn shit about phpg's until I Really messed with one tuning a bike over the course of a few weeks.

i am a douche. don't listen to me. my moped stranded me last night and i'm pissed off.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

see what happens when moped rescues not around?

How are people going to learn if they don’t ask about jets? Also its nice to have a starting point for new jetting when you’re put on a kit and carb.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/search.php?f=7

Learning to jet a PHBG is tough and no one can ever get the thing dialed in 100% but there is enough resources already on these forums that you do not need to post for help first thing.

There's nothing tough about learning to jet a carb. Especially a slide valve carb like a PHBG. Get the bike to start, and run, then you set the main jet, then the needle, then the pilot jet. You're done..... :-)

The biggest problem I see with people are carbs on this forum are the tendancy to pick HUGE carbs. a 24mm carb will support FOURTY EIGHT horsepower. Think about that next time you want to get a 21mm carb. You can make 12hp on a 12mm carb.

Big carbs = crap jetting. Don't use big carbs.

Futz with the starter jet if the thing doesn't start easily.

huh what? my hobbit and my moby would disagree with your views on large carbs being crap.

actually, the one place i agree with overcarbing is with hobbits. ive seen those things go so fucking fast on 12mm. ask nate or peter.

also. nerobro. please build a fast bike with a small carb. i don't doubt you. but i also don't doubt the many fast bikes running 21mm carbs.

If you use a carb that's to big, you're not going to see much of a hit on the top end. So I'm sure there's pleanty of fast bikes running 24mm carbs. The question is what kind of fuel mileage are they getting, and how do they run at 1/4 and 1/2 throttle.

Yes, I'll be using a fairly small carb on my bike. probably a 15 or 16, as that's what's convenient to buy.

i dunno, just switching from a 16 to a 21 a week ago on my minarelli without changing anything else i noticed a huge improvement in my midrange. like drastically. from good midrange to insane midrange. so i can't agree with that last statement.

markryan, ask Rafter about Vic's Derbi, the one that killed the Step Your Game Up bike in a race, the one that hits 65mph, the one that has a 15mm Amal.

Now, I know, it's a Derbi, and they don't really count as mopeds, but it is possible to run a small carb, and still totally annihilate people.

Added MarkRyans image to the Wiki. For newbs and soon to be racers. Word.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

look at vespas too. You can hit solid 40's at least with a 13mm carb

Does that mean that this part needs a few name tweaks then?

at the gender bender i rode doubles ALL weekend, blasted everyone, up hills and on flats 50 plus. all with a 15.15 SHA

i didn't want to change this setup cause it worked so damn well, but now i run a 20 phbg and my lowend, midrange and topspeed are way better. Still, i loved my 15 to death and small carbs ARE the shit too.

^heather. my guess is that all those improvements are just from the increased tunability of the phbgs. since you have the proper jetting at all throttle positions. seems to me like a 15 phbg would be a pretty ideal carb for all setups.

but i cant really talk shit about big carbs. im running a 21 and its worked awesome for me.

yeah, i loved my 16 sha to death on my minarelli. it was hard to trade it away. tune and forget.

lee, I remember you NOT blasting me on the Derbi, and truth be told you + that girl = my weight, so riding doubles doesn't really mean much.

My 75cc Minarelli GPSed 43 or 47 (I forget, last year) with a 14/12 Dellorto on it. The 15/15 only added a few mph.

"16 to a 21 a week ago on my minarelli without changing anything else i noticed a huge improvement in my midrange. like drastically"

You didn't specify what sort of carbs you went from? If I went from a 16mm guntner to a 21mm phbg... sure.

If you saw an improvement in the midrange, that means you need to spend more time figuring out jetting. :-) Your needle setting was very poor on the 16mm carb.

As part of the "small carb brigade" I'll be buying a 15mm next week. ;-) And a nice small intake to match. You should run the smallest intake you can before a reed valve to get the best carburation.

I was very impressed with your peugeot, Lee.

Lee is posting under Heather's name. Creatures love doing that stuff.

zach you are pretty fast. well your bike is.

yeah, MotoMatic makes amazing things. Zachary Evans, not so much. I just work my ass off, and save tons of money. Zach Lee makes amazing things too. No doubt.

all i can say is that on my hobbit the 70cc malossi kit with the motomatic hobbit pipe and the stock 12mm keihin was great. but, i put the 21 PHBG and the fucking thing screams now. its insane the difference that carb made.

plus, i was running a 16 PHBG on my SSXL with a 70cc pollini, and when i finally upgraded to a 19 it was a world of difference.

i'm not saying you arent right on some levels, i still run a 16.16SHA on my magnum and love it. i'm just saying that you cant really generalize about every carb/kit/pipe combination, thats all.

lee you tricky dicky. making me think im talking to a lady about carbs....

DAVEY! You shouldda went with a 21mm Keihin. I don't they're SOOOO cheap, and just as rad as the 12, just bigger. It always bums me out when Hobbit people switch to delortos. if you have any motorcycle graveyards around you, you can usually find an old cb 125, 175, cm 200, whatever, that's junked as shit, and get a 21 or a 24 keihin in nice shape for $20. just something to keep in mind. AWESOME JAP POWER!

:)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account