Yamaha Towny opinions or suggestions!

I recently bought an '82 Towny to scratch the mechanical itch I've been having for the past year or so. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about it (while attempting to keep my grades high!) and some of it is fun, some confusing, but I had a few questions (kind of).

I'm looking for some simple, fun, and easy things that a college kid (CHEAP!) can do to make this thing sweeter, along with help me learn some more about the mechanics of it all. I have been tinkering with it and just trying to clean up some rust and stuff, but as winter draws near I want to try to find some cool projects that I can do to get it ready for the summer.

Details about it:

1982, runs perfect, tops out at about 32-35 on flat, all parts seem to be stock/there. If you need more details let me know.

Anyways, if anybody has some suggestions about what things I could do it would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Yamaha Towny opinions or suggestions!

The Towny uses a lot of the same engine parts as the Yamaha QT50, PW50, YT60, and YF60. If you do a search for QT50 here you will find a wealth of tuning/performance info. Looking for more speed?

Yeah that was one thing I was going to address. I was hoping to get it so that I would be able to drive around town without feeling like I'm holding up traffic. Got any tips??

Maybe the easiest/cheapest things to do are install performance clutch springs and Boyesen reeds. Both can be found at peeweecycle.com, among other places.

Whats the installation process of both of those? How much mechanical knowledge is needed?

By the way thanks for the help!

Hey, no prob!

Neither one is too tough. Google Yamaha QT50 manual and you can find one in pdf to download. There will be step by step instructions in there for disassembly/assembly.

After those items it gets a lot more expensive. Not sure how much they will improve your speed, though a duder selling his QT with those parts was pulling 37 with his ped.

Sweet man. I was reading about somebody saying that they put a YT60 cylinder in a towny and it did ALOT...what's your opinion on that?

Yep, a lot of people have done it with the QT and have seen great results. I'd imagine it'd be pretty much the same with the Towny. That's pricier, though. Most people go with the Jemco exhaust with that setup (do a search).

Hmm... I'm trying to search and find some stuff on whats needed to do this conversion. Do you know if I would need the cylinder head?

The QT/Towny heads are supposedly higher compression; maybe stick with what you've got?

32-35 on the flat is pretty fast. i dont have any experience with the towny, but ive never gotten a QT50 past 30.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account