Re: Gila Go BOOM!

do you know anyone in college that has access to a machine shop? or anyone who has access to a machine shop at work? even if you don't, it shouldn't cost that much at all. and it will be super reliable. i brought one of my heads into a local engine builders to get it decked for higher compression. they laughed and did it for free. i mean it is a 50cc. most of these guys deal with 5L v8's.

I

So you are saying I can just cut a gasket out of copper for the time being? Seems like it would be bette than the aluminum, and less work/money than the o-ring, for now.

I have a new piston already luckily, bought a back up when I could. I'll sand her down soon, probably get in there with the dremel a bit more while I have it off. :)

I was also thinking about talking to af1, or v-force about the reeds. They have at most 400 miles. Really seems like they should have a bit more life out of them.

agreed about the copper sheet. if you don't want to mess with an o-ringed head. (with copper o-ring) deff. go with a copper head gasket. i know alot of people talk about running no head gasket, but i've always had problems in doing so, even if both surfaces were machined flat

🎨🏆 Duncan /

this makes me glad I decided on metra 80 vs. gila, but I'm sure you'll work it out. I got a tiny hole like that way back when I ported my first maxi in like 98 or 99. I didn't have any idea about timing or anything, but it ran hard for a little while. That hole was sorta a mystery to me until now because it looks like it coulda been machined, but thanks for clearing that up dood. Best of luck.

Honestly, the gila is pretty industructible. The only reason this happened was user neglect. We were doing a 50 mile ride and within the first 5 miles I knew something was up. I wise man would have headed back and called it a day, but since charlie drove me all the way out there, and I didnt want to ruin the ride, I figured I would just take it easy on her all day and rebuild the top end when (if) I got home. Had about 5 miles left and it blew. SO BUMMED! oh well. Take care of a gila and it will last for sure.

LEEFUNGCHOW says your timing is too advanced. blown head gasket at high speed: instant seize, happened to me on the freeway recently. it looks like your detonation has been occuring for a while.

FACT: CDI units can be faulty and go bad overnight. i have seen this happen way to many times. often janky wiring and faulty grounds can kill a cdi instantly. I bet your hpi may have locked on full or mid advance.

you need to be running ground wires directly to your motor and not your frame. i do it on all my bikes now. even points setup too. you should check your timing with a timing light and check your curve. (if it has one) might as well double check.

Fuck advancing your timing to the max anyhow dude. i'm all about full retard. keeps your motor cool as fuck, makes your top speed ultra fast, but it makes your powerband kick in real late. so i think the perfect balance is to retard until you can't pull into your power band, and then slowly start advancing till you hit it. High rpm advance will kill your moped and you will never go as fast as you really can.

i'm going to retard my timing today

sux about the reed cage. why do they not have stops? whats up with boyeson reeds not having stops? why do reed chip like that? in my polini 4 petal, i am using stock polini 2-petal reeds. i took them out, replaced them with some .45 reedstock, chewed those up in 100 miles, and put the old ones back in and they are still perfect. must have 1000 miles at least on them. no way. more than that. whats up with reeds?

mysteries: timing and reeds

facts: head gasket blown and cause instant siezure. must have been slowly leaking all day.

god i hate cdi, it went bad on my tomos the other day and just stopped working

Yes, no mystery in what caused the seize. It was a slow leak all day, hoped I could make it home. No luck.

The reeds really bum me out. I am gonna call v-force tomorrow and see if I can maybe get a warranty. Shit has 400 miles tops.

I will double check the timing. Its set at 17 degrees, which isnt tooooo advanced. 22 is SUPER advanced, and might still run from what I hear. We figured 17 was as far advanced, but still safe as possible.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

elliot i swear to god you kill cdi like no other.

how you do this amazes me to this day

i

retards.

r-tard.

what is 17 degrees in mm BTDC?

If I ran the numbers right, it's 17 degree's = 1.159mm assuming stroke is 43mm and the rod is 90mm. I run around 22 degree's because I don't really care about top speed, acceleration is more fun. Oh, if your detonating just switch to higher octane gas.... or run some additive.

-naz

timing curve in HPI? yes or no? 1.159 is not that much advance at all. true.

yea thats stock on an e50. (0.8mm - 1.2mm BTDC)

I dont believe hpi has any timing curve, so those noumbers should be right. Unless my timing slipped (I will double check its still where we left it) I really dont think its timing.

on the back of the cdi box of my hpi it says 1 curve

_I dont believe hpi has any timing curve_

you telling me hpi's cost an absolute bomb but don't have any auto retard?...surely they must?! or are they made out of gold?! or am i just misunderstanding your statement ha

If it is just that one reed it could it be a manufacturing quality lapse that just effected that piece of reed material? I know if you get some materials moving around the speed of sound they disintegrate and Tommy is getting those things flapping pretty good---but then other two strokes hit higher RPMs--I'm just rambling

Sorry, i'm wrong, hpi does have auto-retard I believe. You just cant set it like some other cdi's.

Yeah, i am hoping the reed was a fluke. I am gonna try and call them today and see what they say.

supposedly you can buy a different cdi box to allow adjustment:

http://programmable-ignition.com/cdi.htm

reeds probably blew out 'cause of blowback, with the piston that gnarly it probably built some crazy high pressures in the crankcase.

This sucks. Do you think the reeds may have been touching the walls of the intake, I know my reed stop on the Malossi reed cage slightly touches a tiny part of it. I would imagine your reeds being so many wouldn't need to open up that much i've turned over my engine with a drill to watch the reeds and you can see they barely open but that is at lower rpms.

maybe it was only detonating that day because of the head leak i'm sure timing was fine if you've been blasting. Didn't your hear a whistling sound at low rpm's indicating head leak?

Why waste your time doing weird head stuff. you know it works awesome just be more careful. Puchforum does sell a custom correct head w/squish for the gilardoni but it cost something like $150

2004 + hpi's have the auto retarding curve

my Gilardoni testing showed me that with longer intake duration ( extra piston window) seemed to let a lot of stress off the reeds and made everything more smooth with breathing, not having a sudden suction and blowback and suck in the intake as the piston/windows closes/opens

Got a link to that head?

so you have auto retard, check with a timing light to see if the curve is not locked on any advance.

here's tommy just before he went boom

lame, he's got some sorta privacy thing... go here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacsurf/3088180729/in/set-72157610918308922/

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account