Opinions on running a 19mm PHBG on Malossi 62

Tell me what you guys think here.

I have a new Malossi 62cc. I've got two carbs. One is a 16mm SHA and the other is a 19mm PHBG.

SHA:

I've got a custom intake for the 16mm SHA (Made by Bandit Ryan). It's a stock puch exhaust header cut down with a piece welded to the end that has a 19mm ID to fit the SHA carb. If I use this carb I plan on opening up the intake on the Malossi, (Just on the outside without doing any opening up on the bore end), to match the ID of the intake which is about 21mm. Basically I would do this just for flow purposes and have it ramp down to the 16mm at the bore. I wanted a facing forward intake to make tuning easier and that will allow me to rock a high flow filter.

PHBG:

I've also got a 19mm PHBG with a 21mm intake to fit it. If I use this, I plan on opening up the intake on the Malossi on the outside to match the ID of the intake and then widening the intake port at the bore to 19mm.

Which should I use with this kit? Will the 19mm PHBG make a significant different in the power of this Malossi kit? The transfers on the Malossi kit are SMALL. Almost the same as the stock Puch transfers. maybe half a MM bigger. Will I be able to widen the intake port at the bore if it's Nikasil lined? Will is just chip off and ruin the bore?

If I don't use the 19mm with this setup, I'll just save it to run with a Metra 80 or Gila project that I have planned for a spare E50 that I have...

Thanks for your opinions and knowledge!

Chris

Re: Opinions on running a 19mm PHBG on Malossi 62

Is this a stupid question?

Chris-

In my experience, little motors go fast when they can breath hard. I would definitely go with the 19mm. Its what I was using on my Za50/A35 set-up. ...unless... this is going be more of a daily rider kinda thing, then the 16 makes more sense, it would get much better fuel economy and probably be easier to ride, and wouldn't be that much slower. What kind of pipe do you plan on running?

I'm running a techno estoril... It's will be more of a daily rider. If going the 19 route will give me more all around power, I'd rather do it anyhow... Do you think the Nikasil lining will chip if I widen the intake port at the bore?

go big or go home.

allen stole the words out of my mouth.

That's what I'll do. I can put the 16 on the lady's Pinto.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

i think for a kit like that you could probably stick with a 16.

but its gotta be phbg. Fuck the untuneability of SHA's. I dunno the malossi 62cc so it might be good with a 19.

We've ran 19's on heavily ported stock jugs. It will be fine.

no one else concerned about reshaping the intake port, in the bore, of a nikasil lined cylinder?

oh well then. go for it chris.

I'm still waiting to get the answer Jake. Thanks for reminding me! I guess if I kill it I have a reason to buy a 65 MK...

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

well sure you CAN tommy

but if its just a daily rider and you want it to be fuel efficient as well, id just keep the carb smaller. has to have tuneability tho. 15mm amal even would be better

Shouldnt be a problem. dremel away.

I'll trade fuel efficiency for more power all day... I have a Magnum so the tank is big enough to get me to work and back a few times anyhow... The real question is: Is the power to gain with a 19 substantial or minuscule? If it's minuscule I might as well rock the 16.

This kit has a bigger bore and a decently sized exhaust port, but the case transfers are really no bigger than a stock puch.

***VANILLA BLUNDER*** /

i was skeptical of putting my 19 on my 65 metra. the all around power increase is substantial, totally worth it. just port the crap out of it.

I was thinking that I could port the transfers on the Malossi as well. If I make them longer on the bore, that won't effect the port timing will it?

You can reshape the intake using a fine-grit grinding bit, not a cutting tool. The goal here is to prevent the lining from chipping. Losing 'chips' of nikasil around the port is where trouble starts.

Don't use this bit:

I got stones. I still may use this bit for the outside though because it seems like it will do a fine job...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account