Stock piston in a TCCD50 kit

Pablo Puchasso /

Ok, I was looking for a TCCD piston for my 50 kit, when I was told (by a few people on here) that a stock Puch piston will work. My question is: do I have to do anything to make it work (ie) shorten the piston skirt.

Also, there is someone on here that has a TCCD piston but no rings. Would it be better (or even possible) to use the TCCD with stock rings or is this a no go?

Re: Stock piston in a TCCD50 kit

from what i understand a stock pistion will snag the rings on one of the ports.

Pablo Puchasso /

That's what I would have thought... that's why I was asking about the stock rings in the TCCD piston but maybe that's even more doomed to failure. I hear word from Shaw that there is another piston that works in this kit but couldn't remember which one. it seems like he would remember if it were a stock one.

stock piston rings are the wrong size. unfortunate.

Pablo Puchasso /

What about running a stock piston upside down? Bad idea getting worse?

If you get real hard pressed you can pull the ring end stop pins or grind them down drill a hole in a different part of the circumference and put a spring pin aka self locking pin. Or if you google 38mm piston ring you may find a compatable chainsaw ring

cutter ememily ran a stock piston and it worked ok for a while then ended with the worst seize i've ever seen. completely destroyed.

Pablo Puchasso /

Hmm... I like where you're going with this Steve. Anybody else have any luck with other pistons? I'm curious which one Shaw was talking about. Jeff at Choke assured me that this was an A&R (Distribution) cylinder and that A&R still made pistons that you could just order up out of the catalog. The first couple weeks I had this cylinder all I knew to call it was "A&R." Too bad jeff left town or I might have a piston for it right now.

Don't quote me but I've heard of people running Tomos stock pistons (not sure which Tomos engine) in TCCD 50cc kits.

If there is no A, B, C or D to these cylinders a stk piston from elsewhere might work. The piston to cyl fit should be .001 to .003 of an inch diff. And that range could be debated. If the piston is too small it won't transfer as much heat to the cylinder and if it is too large it will expand to be too tight. I have a Gilardoni cylinder that I would like to put a Metra 80 piston in but I have no idea what the Metra piston actually measures out to be

Pablo Puchasso /

I think I'm going to run the piston regardless. Hopesfully it's massive seize city. If anyone else out there wants to chime in on this combo, I'd love to hear about it.

hey snords these days gila's come stock with metra pistons. it works perfectly!!!!

Pablo Puchasso /

Hopefully it's not* massive seize city

Thanks Zach. I hope the new piston fits in the really old copy Gila. I like plug and play if it comes my way

Pablo Puchasso /

bump for more input.

Well Max if you want more finality than the above I would suggest measuring your cylinder with a snap gauge and micrometer. Maybe go to Choke mopeds in H-wood with that same Micrometer and see if they will let you measure some stk pistons they have laying around. Then you can compare skirt height etc with your original piston. You should be able to put all your doubts to bed by performing your own due diligence

Pablo Puchasso /

Word. I have stock pistons lying around myself. Just wondering if anyone else had tried this and what the results were. I'm still curious which other piston Shaw was talking about too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account