Which intake 19mm PHBG Clamp style Puch Malossi

Anyone running a forward facing intake on a Puch with a 19mm clamp style PHBG carb? I've seen it done with all of the hose clamp kind... Not really with the screw clamp though. I'm not into the tilted carb with no room when using a rear facing intake.

Re: Which intake 19mm PHBG Clamp style Puch Maloss

I cut the larger flange section of this intake off:

I'm not sure if the clamp on style carb would fit over it after I did that or not.

The carb would still be tilted though.

I don't know that I've seen a forward facing setup with a decent intake for a clamp style carb.

yeah nope. im pretty sure that these hacked exhaust header style intakes wont work with the clamp style phbg.

chris, the only option i know of besides custom fabbing something is the rear-facing type that you said you don't like. those aren't all that bad really. a bitch to take on and off for tuning but i think the phbg is fine with something like up to 45 degrees of tilt.

Polini is easy, but I'm guessing you are thinking Metrakit? It's a little tricky. You would have to have some accurate tools to turn a header down to fit snugly inside the plastic shim of a PHBG, although you can order different size shims to help you find the right fit. I <3 clamp fits, but sometimes you just gotta have hose.

I got a good deal on a clamp style so I got it... Benji says he's got a forward facing one for me with a shim. We'll see what I end up with... :) I've got a Malossi, but I think I'm about to just buy a Metra 65 and save the Malossi for later.

Can I open up the intake on the Malossi cylinder to match the 19mm manifold without fucking up the bore? I have a dremel and files. My main concern is messing up the lining in the bore with my grinding action.

we did that for amandas clamp style phbg-turn it into a spigot style. we took a solid pipe that was 1mm wider than the inside of the clamp inner diameter then we chucked it into a drill and gripped it with sandpaper till we slowly slowly took it down to like .3-4mm over so we'd have an interference fit then we pressed it into the plastic shim/clamp. and clamped it down. its a solid seal and a great way to turn a clamp style into a spigot style. then radiator hose/clamp mount it to a cut 19mm puch header.

also phbgs can safely be angled to 40 degrees as it says in the dellorto manual.

Thanks dude. The carb arrived and it's actually a spigot style. The seller didn't understand what I meant by, "Does it have a clamp with a screw and nut on one side?", and answered yes to this question. All good now. Have a coupler on the way from Benji...

rad. though i've seen those benjisold rubber couplersfail sometimes when run on puch headers if you go that route. sometimes when people cut their headers they don't file down the rough areas of the cut and it has a tendancy to tear through the rubber coupler over time. what works realllly well is radiator hose from autozone as its 50 times beefier than that coupler rubber. if going with the rubber coupler just ake sure to smooth out the header cut.

hopefully bandits will be in yr city soon enough. later chris

Thanks for the tip. I'll smoothe it out. Tim recommended the coupler and since he's OCD on mopeds, I went with it. We'll see how it holds up!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account