POWER IS IN THE POINTS

what is the story behind this?

how do I unleash the power in my points?!

There are currently 30 years old originals on my 1978 maxi

!

Re: POWER IS IN THE POINTS

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

get new ones is step one.

the you tune them till y ou get full power.

new quality ones...

to sum up that statement we are basically saying that proper functioning electrical system on a bike are the key to max performance.

this includes:

new quality points

a quality functioning condenser

cleaned up wiring and removed possible shorts

SOLID grounds

proper timing per setup

new and quality plug wire and plug boots.

Just cuz it sparks doesn't mean its good to go. solid well tuned electrical is the key to max performance.

the power is in the points.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

yep

maybe it should be "Power in the electrical system"? Guess it doesn't have the same ring.

power is in the black magic of CDI

King Drunky JCams /

CDI ftw!

my shits fire tight, i got a few puchs, a tomos a ciao, i killed a kinetic and somone stole it's corpse. yeah they spaRk well, lights are dimmm at low rpms. but is my timing ok? iv'e taken that shit apart, iv'e got it to work but, i never adjusted a flywheel from it's position from stock, i got some fast 50 ccs, w/ stock carbs, i weld stuff together, i'm cool, but is my timing good? HELLLP!

it all starts with the points, the power is in the points, when all else is running correctly even a slight adjustment to the points will yield amazing results on any kitted setup.

cdi only wins if ur know how to set it up and how to tune, tuning points systems will make tuning cdi a breeze, otherwise u might be jacking urself from max power since it seems to run well even if its not optimally tuned.

newb Q

As far as points adjustment goes, what other than the "sparkplug box" paper trick can be done? How do/can you tune the points further?

fuck around with them. eyeball it. open em. close em.

BTW, when graham and i were riding to southamerica, we would spend countless hours tuning our mopeds to no avail. we then discovered that we needed to set our gap and timing before tuning and we had amazing results.

thus the tern was coined by g and lee: power is in da points.

Thats what I thought, thanks!

Yes if you advance ignition, you get the BOOOOOOOOM when it really counts

What are quality points?

Are all new puch points the same? if not, what is mad quality

honestly mint condition or good condition nos or original puch points are the best, the ones you can buy at moped shops are hit or miss really, most shops get different brands from thier distributors every other order so there is no telling what ur gonna get when u order "puch points"

I have heard there are some bosh brand points for puch that are available on ebay and they come in thier own special box, i don't know if any of the shops carry them tho.

I use a feeler guage to make sure I've got mine closer to being a constant measured gap. .017-.018" is what I've got mine at. The wiki said Bosch are the best choice.

i kinda think im firing too soon, what would be an indicator of that?

motor is too hot... heat fade over time the bike slows a bit, great acceleration at 1st then as it heats up it slows, lack of a smooth fast top end, overheating, detonation... all signs of too advanced timing

accurately setting the timing with gauges only gets to to an arbitrary accurate setting whether or not that setting is appropriate or not is where the skill comes in. all bikes run differently and each likes something a bit different, depending on the rider, the setup and the situation.

have fun with it and experiment then you will discover the power.

mine runs nice at top end, low end i get rpms but no power and this weird pingy gound like it fires too soon maybe.

pinging? is your sparkplug hitting the piston?

Yeah timo that would be too advanced. Either step up and get midgrade gasoline or premium which has more resistance (octane rating) to pinging, or back off on that spark advancement.

Your engine runs w/o pinging when you're going faster because the motor spins fast enough to overcome the 'over-advanced timing' if I may. When the rpms slow, the gas is igniting a tad too early and this will cause a significant amount of stress on your wrist pin/rod/piston and crank shaft bearings.

Just set it back a few degrees and see how she sounds man. your low end should improve, and your high end shouldn't get worse by much if at all.

yay! im gonna do some work on this monday but thats what i imagined was happening i've been taking suggestions for this in another post w/ a similar name but i will put some up on monday. thankyou for your input.

a piston will never hit a sparkplug. ever. it will hit the head/squish area before it ever hits the plug.

POWER IS IN THE POINTS!!!

so elliot seriously, what are the best points out there now?

the bosch at 1977? the puch points at 1977?

even the best ones ever gotta be put on just right.....right?

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

today my bike was running like poo. I adjusted my points then it ran super awesome. Yay points!

sweet to zack cuperteen.

jjoseph get yer points on e-bay. they come in a little clear box.

I bought some new 103 points on ebay, they don't meet evenly, totally fucked. Can't sand em down even, they're so crooked.

what are these e-bay points in clear boxes?

tried searchin, no luck.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account