mikuni tm 24 jetting question

hello

I will probably buy flatside Mikuni TM 24 carb for my Puch Gilardoni kit.

Anybody knows what sizes of main jet,pilot jet ..etc should I buy for BREAK IN the new gilardoni kit?the jetting must be RICH

Does anyone know the original sizes of jets when you buy this carburetor in shop.....for wich bike is this carb in original( honda cr 80,yz 80 etc?)

thanx

Re: mikuni tm 24 jetting question

Stock pilot jet is fine.

Main jet around 180 will do i think.

Just buy 160 to 200.

OVC, where should the needle clip be set at?

King Drunky JCams /

uuuummmm.... OVC's experience must differ from mine.

I bought and ran a 24mm flatslide mikuni on my Gila kit.

Did not like it for several reasons...

First up... the main jet... I bought a K&N air filter to go with my kit. Ran super rich with a 110 jet. So, I removed the filter and ran it with 125-130 I believe. Ran pretty good... but...

What I disliked most about the carb was that it SPITS fuel ALL OVER YOU AND YOUR BIKE. With no filter (which is how it ran best) a constant spray of fuel was flying out onto my foot.

Put a air filter on, to prevent that, and it sogs it so bad with gas, that it DRIPS fuel all over you and your bike.

I will say, on the top end, the carb felt pretty good, however, I believe that 24mm is massive overkill. I think there is a fundamental lack of velocity with a carb and intake so huge on a tiny 75cc cylinder...

Check out my post on your other thread... 18mm is way better. Great throttle response and fast!

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/125189/125189/

I will say in closing that I would not rule out a 21mm intake and carb though... may be worth a try...

J

I have the same effing problem Jcam!

although all I did was ziptie the one gas vent hose facing upwards and it wasnt a problem anymore. Although I think its super weird it does that. WHY??!

my 21mm del works super good on my gila! the stock jets that came with it are perfect. i could use a leaner needle because im running it at the leanest setting but it runs perfect. with the doppler intake the whole gila kit was bolt up and your done

I think here in the Netherlands 70% is using a 24m on the Gila.

But don't forget that Mikuni uses a different type of numbers on the jets. Mikuni is using flow numbers and for example D.Orto. is using the dimension in mm.

I ran a 47mm bore polini lc cylinder from Aprillia with a 24tm.

Main jet i used was 210.. (tuned cylinder)

i use a 24mm mikuni on a doppler intake

never had a fuel blowback problem

i run with 100% stock carb settings

130 main

K&N oiled

no issues

shit talkin' hippy /

yeah, everyone will have it a little different, if you dont have any air leaks I think in the 130-160 range is gonna be it with some sort of free flowing filter... I used a hommade cone shape thing with some filter mesh and panty hose, 155 and gps'd at 66.5, tiny bit of topend fourstroke, but I was fine withthat fore break in, I haven't GPS'd it since I went down to a 150 after breakin but my gear ratio is now for lowend burnout style, woo

tell me about this doppler intake?

any link or picture of this intake? thanx

nice info guys.

I am running 135 jet right now but I think I may be running a bit on the lean side. I am thinking 145 should be perfect.

Although it seems like no one really needs replace the needle and idle jets which makes it easy to tune.

Anybody know whatsup with the freaking carb leakage though?

jure

treats has the intake,it puts the carb on the right side of the puch. you need to enlarge the mounting holes a wee bit .

I found out that is hard to get a new original mikuni tm 24 from the shop in our country beacuse this carb probably isn,t on any stock motorcycle wich comes from the store

any ideas how much EUR does it costs an original tm 24?

thanx

shit talkin' hippy /

about 80 euros is normal, check online stores that ship internationaly

I a running a 145 on mine. No air filter. I have some blow back, but not any where close to what I had on my metra 80. I wouldnt mind running a 150 for safety, but I didnt have one available, and havent had any problems yet. I think I need to mess with my needle and idle jet a bit, but i four stroke if i dont have the bike at full throttle, but I usually ride at full throttle, so no big.

If you run a filter like the K&N, and you arent running your carb shooting out the front of your bike, cut out the whole in back of the filter to give it a little more flow. Helps a lot.

JC I put some vent tubs on the mikuni and it hasn't spit any fuel. How are those wheels working for you?

King Drunky JCams /

Hey Dan, that's good for you I guess : )

It had vent tubes on it when I got it... I took them off.

Probably should have left them huh?

As for the wheels...

I've not shown anyone the setup, but here goes...

They look sweet and I can't wait to see them powdercoated...

This ped is my never-ending project it seems...

J

I got the mikuni tm 24 the pictures are attached and at the bottom...it supposed to be original

I think they order it from top performances beacuse of the box

1.tell me please which is the best air filter for mikuni tm 24 with puch 75 gillardoni kit?

the dealer recommended me Pro porting or stage 6 or should I buy other beacuse I do not want to have any dirt in the cylinder........maybe K.N. oiled?

2. any idea where can I buy the throttle cable and throttle assembly?

3. look at the picture at athachement, do you see the scratches in the carb

is this O.K.? is it for better performanse?

thanx alot for help

some photos

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/jhribar1/IMG_0691.jpg?t=1227382090

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/jhribar1/IMG_0689.jpg?t=1227382153

1227382238_img_0683.jpg

noah @ 77 /

stock main 130

stock idle 15

I use a K&N but just find a filter that has really good breathing

Throttle assembly 77 has. Its a long pull throttle...the magura ones wont open up a mikuni

scratches are fine. performance gain? no.

and that was me not him

I have a 125 main jet 15 idle I could run a 120 and a 10 idle. didn't do anything to the kit. Timing all the way advanced.

I know a couple dudes running 145 with and without filters. I run 165 with huge k&n filter.

Throttle assembly 77 has

noah can you tell me where can I find this throttle assembly

maybe any LINK or name of the factory beacuse I type this in google and did not found anything

thanx for help

https://www.1977mopeds.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=195

^^ there you go. Awesome throttle for the mikuni carb. I use it with excellent results.

which throttle cables fits directly to mikuni TM 24 carb?

thanx

I've been wondering for a week now if that long pull throttle would work for a NON-Mikuni carb.

I think it looks awesome, and I'm in the market for a another throttle for my new project.

it will work with any carb and any universal throttle cable but you need a throttle knarp.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

I have the cable and knarps already!

which throttle cables fits directly to mikuni TM 24 carb?

thanx

^^ it was just answered.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account