no start after metrakit. what did i do wrong?

Pablo Maurer /

Hey everyone. Just got done installing a 65cc metrakit on my maxi.

It was a simple enough install, I pulled the engine out of the ped to make life easier....got everything back in the bike, bolted back together, re-wired, and now it won't start.

I suspect it has something to do with the clutch cable, which I had to trim (The end of it was frayed.) Is there a specific procedure for adjusting it? If I pedal and then squeeze the starting lever there is some resistance, but it doesn't really feel like the engine is turning over - just sort of feels like I hit the brakes. No compression noises or popping or whatever. I'm sort of at my wits end here...

Pablo

Re: no start after metrakit. what did i do wrong?

Pull the flywheel cover off and see if you can turn the engine by hand. If you can turn the engine by hand it's possible that the starter clutch isn't tight enough and is just slipping.

Pablo Maurer /

I followed your advice and found the piston hitting the cylinder head. I noticed the kit came with a paper gasket and a metal gasket. Switched to the metal one, now the problems gone. I"ll be trying to start it again here in about 15 minutes.....

use all the gaskets it comes with!! tighten your clutch cable !!

check to see if it's still sparking first.

Pablo Maurer /

i checked it out. I removed the tiny paper base gasket and installed the really thick metal one. Starts and runs extremely well. Won't have a chance to drive it til later tonight but I'm psyched. I put a 74 jet in it - you think that's large enough? 15mm bing carb, techno exhaust, 65cc kit. Carb is brand new,

better use both the paper and metal gaskets to avoid air leaks. im running that kit with two paper gaskets and two metal gaskets.

You got spark and fuel?

I run the same set up with a techno boss pipe and 82 jet. I think you are too lean. doesn't hurt too be rich but lean is another story!! 82 is perfect for me with over 1000 miles!!

Yeah, Pablo - you're gonna want to be a little closer to 80 with the jet.

get a 76, 78, and 80. As Rob said, 82 is a really magic number for those and the 15 bing. My brother has the exact jet and setup.

i use a paper gasket then those metal ones then another paper base gasket for a 70cc but if your not case matched it wont be an issue.

Make sure you check for air leaks when you first fire it up, especially down there where the kit meets the head.

that jet sounds really small to me but im running a 19mm carb on mine. Id listen to those dudes above me.

Metra's are really tough, they will run lean without blowing up , but that sounds real lean. You wanna break that in slow and rich, also with the bing they tend to run a little lean on the first 3/4 of your throttle so you kinda wanna run one jet size to big.

If it is doing that shit where when you lay of the throttle for decel or to some to a stop and it seems to idle up a bit...

thats a real inclination you to lean in the bottom.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account