How hard is it to mount a PHBG to a SHA intake?

Ok, so the Arreche carb on my kitted tomos is sucking air and balls at the same time. Whatever, I hate it anyone, its getting the heave-ho. But the question now becomes this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230298733865

OR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330277103960

So my question is, how hard is it to mount a PHBG to a SHA intake? This one is the spigot style, so like, just a rubber tube and some hose clamps? Or is the intake gonna be WAY smaller than the carbs out hole? Anyone have any exp on the subject? Thanks in advance, and this guy claims they use straight del jets, so I will report on it after I get whichever one.

Re: How hard is it to mount a PHBG to a SHA intake

neither of those are PHBGs.

i've heard awesome things about arreche carbs, and i've seen one drive a 70cc scooter to 70+mph.

I realize it isn't a bonafied name brand phbg, but its a staright clone for less than half the price including and ar filter and a throttle cable. I don't know what to tell you but my arreche sucks nuts. The bike it came to me on had a questionable history, i.e. it was all kinds of fucked up, and the areche constantly pukes gas, and the del 14 I had before didn't, so I donno, maybe this one is just old.

how big is the areche you have? carbs don't just leak because they are bad carbs, usually it's just a bad needle, bowl gasket, or float adjustment, there is not much to it, you could try to fix it if it's a decent size..

The 19mm is a PHBG the second one is a SHA, if the arreche is too small, or you just have to replace it, I would go with whatever matches your intake..how big is that?

I think the stock tomos intake is 14? The areche is only a 15, and at the price of that dellorto, I think it would seriously be cheaper just to go ahead and replace it. You can't get a rebuild kit for that price. Plus did anyone else notice this guy has a set of like 5 or six del jets for like 8 bucks?

Just looking through this guys stuff its like damn. Brake discs and callipers, carbs, jets, air filters, cables, Short of a kit and a pipe, you could build a pretty bad ass bike with this stuff, if its not complete crap that is.

How hard is it to mount a PHBG to a SHA intake?

The Arreche carb is fine. Fix your airleaks and jet properly. THe Arreche on my Yamaha scooter takes it to at least 60mph I am guessing since I keep up with traffic on the highway.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

I'm not sure how great knockoff phbg would be if the jets are not interchangeable. Thats the whole point of the carb. You can jet and tune it for everything. If you are stuck with what it comes with, its worthless. Sure you could drill out the main jet, but what about the idle, needle and others? They are really important to dialing in a bike.

Well, to answer your original question, disregarding whether or not you should get a PHBG:

The SHA clamp on intakes probably won't fit a PHBG. The chamber that clamps to/over the intake on a PHBG is much larger, regardless of the actual bore of the carb. For instance, my 16mm PHBG fits over a 19mm Polini intake, and still needs some spacer in the clamp tube to make it fit snugly. My 14mm SHA fit on a 15mm intake snugly.

In a nutshell:

- PHBG Carburetors have a spigot/clamp tube LARGER than the actual bore size where it connects to the intake

- SHA Carburetors have a clamp tube that is the same size as the bore of the intake

Hope this helps you.

I wanna say SHA clamp size is 19.mm. and PHBG is... I don't know, but ALL PHBG's 16mm-21mm have the same body and clamp so the clamp couldn't be less than 23. right? either way one doesn't fit on the other's intake. on a side note I wouldn't complain about carb quality and then buy a cheep knock off, guess why its cheep.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account