Torquey 80Metras

I was wondering if anybody is tuning their 80metras for off the line and mid range torque instead of top? And what setups/gearing they are running with what results? The tuning spreadsheet doesn't really have much on acceleration stats.

Re: Torquey 80Metras

80metra = top-end pissing contest.

run a metra with 14x45 gearing, it's stupid fast until about 50 or maybe less.

Thats kinda what I want out of my Metra 80 project this winter as well. I'm planning on gearing it at 16 x 40 to start with. I feel like it should be able to pull pretty hard at that gearing.

thats what i wanted i had mine geared 15/45 in SF with a 21dellorto and 8P it was ok but still no where near polini power torque just felt like i was overreving and def topped at about 50.

80 metras will lift the front tire on a magnum

Thats cause you had an 8p. If you want low end, cut and weld an estoril. My buddy had basically the same set-up my 80 metra had, but he had an estoril instead of simo, i saw him climb the steepest longest hill with 18x36 gearing. It was crazy.

Estoril plus tuned clutch, plus low gearing = great low end. You rob a lot of top end with the estoril, but if its bottom you want you will get it.

Did the Estoril still have the restrictor in it?

I'm fairly sure it did. It robbed a lot of top end. His bike had been clocked at 69.7 last I heard with a simo. It was probasly only doing around 60-62 with the estoril, but even with 18x36 it was ripping up hills.

I had my 80 metra set up like this and it had sick torque. it could throw me off the damn seat.

80 metra smallport

casematched for torque (remove very little material for fuel/air velocity)

21 dellorto

tuned 3 shoe clutch with paz springs

14x40 gearing

simonini carbon fiber exhaust

this was an awesome setup. i could rev the living piss out of it, then the clutch would grab and take off like a rocket until it hit the powerband, then it was just insane acceleration.

then i soft seized it and got scared ;) lol.

Go Estoril with your Polini Timmy! Do it!

try a smaller phbg carb like a 16 or 17mm with an intake to match. the smaller carb isn't as good for top speed but will help with torque in the low end.

yeah. from what ive read, fuel velocity=torque. so get as much fuel volume moving through the smallest space possible, i guess.

I dont know why you would purposefully have something have less power. If you want torgue, make the motor have as much power as possible, then adjust your gearing and pipe to put the power where you want it to be.

Big carbs add power throughout the entire powerband. Thats all myth if you ask me.

tell that to the 12mm carb on my 60mph wheelie pulling hobbit.

Its true about the estoril on the 80 metra, it gives insane low end even when I had 17x42 gears. By the way the estoril I was using is for sale if anyones interested. e-mail me (I went withe the homoet for top end?!)

we all know that the hobbit carb is magical. Peter even said that you get better low end/midragne with a big carb on a hobbit, but you wont gain top end (if i remember correctly).

Put a bigger carb on and you will still have that same wheelie machine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account