basic header question - keep it long or short

i am hacking the header off my 78 batavus starflite and welding on an estoril. in order to keep my pedals i am looking at keeping just about the full length of the header and angling the pipe upwards and attaching near the tail light. that means i will have a very long tail pipe.

is this going to cause a lack in performance, a boost, neutral??? the other option is loose the pedals and just hack the pipe and leave about 4 inchs of header. the option i am going for leaves about 10 inches plus the full length of the estoril minus the first 4 inches(the first stage of the header).

if this is confusing let me know and i'll try to be more specific. i will be doing this tomorrow so...

Re: basic header question - keep it long or short

longer header, torque-low rpms. shorter header, power-high rpm

not sure what that means to me... so the longer header is going to give me more bottom end but less top end speed?

before the ped went 28. with the long header will it at least go over 30, theoretically? thats all i am looking for - around 30 to 35.

start long, you can always shorten it later. should do 30 easily long

ok great. if these guys do good work i will probably have them derestrict the estoril too. i am so excited!

have you used the estoril yet? if not, derestrict before you use!

yeah it was on my 1980 Tomos A3 that just isn't dependable at all. some kind of timing/electrical issues that just can't get worked out. but i was just so nervous cutting a $120 pipe in half... i am not really worried about it at this point because by the time i read that it was better to derestrict a new pipe than a used one it already had about 40 to 60 miles on it.

the tomos has so much more get up and go but it just isn't working out. it starts up great just starts sputtering intermediately after it gets going. i am tired of throwing money at it.

UPDATE: well crap, it maxes out at 25mph... i need to find a friend with a welder because these dudes charge $50 for this and i think that is too much. I think the head r is just too long. it does have some pull but if it lost speed it just can't stay the same. I might have to loose the pedals to get it to work right....

i will post pics and see what you think. it looks like i can stand to loose about 6 to 8 inchs and still be ok.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account