Hobbit PA50II problems HELP!!!!!!

First off wasn't sure if this should be in this thread or repair? it runs just need help tunning....oh well....Ok so here is my story...i bought a 1978 Honda Hobbit and it was stock and the guy was running 50:1 gas oil mix instead of 25:1 and he said he flushed the tank, so i believed him. and it ran ok...it kind of put puted here n there like it was a lack of power...so i bought new spark plug, checked tank rusted to all hell....so i CLRed it and flushed it crazy...not competely all out but good enough all rust chunks are gone just some inside the tank still.....there was nuggets of rust coming out it was crazy...ok and than i took carb off cleaned it all out cleaned the jets, cleaned the reeds...cleaned air fliter...mixed right gas 25:1...and put on proma circuit exhaust..and it ran good for awhile...but than sometimes it starts to bog..and dies out...i crashed it once going about 35mph and now when i peddle it like goes back and forth and feels like sometimes it doesnt catch to start.....and i changed the spark plug 3 times already...it keeps gettin all black n like rusted look....did i mix too much oil??? just want it to run smoothly and and go fast...plan to put a 70cc kit after winter wit performance carb...any help would be nice....did the 50:1 oil mix ruin the motor? or the rusted gas tank??? do i need to clean something else?? and listen to this my girlfriends brother got the same ped 1978 Honda Hobbit PA50 II and he took my stock exhaust and sawed off the pipe before the box and now it flys faster than mine...he does like 38MPH with no effort and i barley hit 30MPH now...can someone please help me...it would be great...oh and sorry for being soo long but please help thanks

thanks Dominick

Re: Hobbit PA50II problems HELP!!!!!!

oh i forgot to mention i cleaned the points and was going to replace them...could this be the issue?? please help thanks again

Fuel to air mix is probably off. Sounds like it is flooding, maybe try cleaning your air intake?

i did clean that too...should i up jet? or do i have to mess wit the carb??

if your tank was all rusty your carb is probably pretty nasty as well, take it off using the way described on the wiki and tell us what happens

Raymond Rexroad /

No mention of a fuel filter - did you add one?

Actually- The problems you are having sound a lot like the problems my buddy had when he recently improperly cleaned his puegots tank. You probably still have water in that thing. Flush It! Dry It! Flush It!

yea I took off carb completley cleaned it out..I'm pretty sure all water is out...it was like a month ago...fuel filter I have to add one? And than why would my girlriends brothers run better than wit stock exhaust?

BUMP!!!

an in-line fuel filter is like a safety net for all those little pieces of rust that managed to get through the petcock filters. So yeah, take off the petcock and check that filter that runs into the tank and the one below the on/off/res. switch on the petcock. Then, goto your local car/lawn mower part store and pick an in-line fuel filter. Its better if its clear so you can see if any debris is adding up. Also, take your old fuel line to the store and buy some new (of the same size!) and match the in-line fuel filter properly to your stock fuel line size.

In a nutshell, an in-line fuel filter will not make you go faster.

Dude you MUST have an inline fuel filter for that thing. You will be cleaning your carb every 4 days if you don't. If that tank was that bad, you better get a filter. They are like 5 bucks at any auto parts or hardware store. Clean the carb. I bet it will run nice again.

"he took my stock exhaust and sawed off the pipe before the box"

"And than why would my girlriends brothers run better than wit stock exhaust?"

That's just it he aint running stock. Mufflers act as restrictors so his is fully unrestricted. I hope he up jetted because he'll be in for a surprise if he takes any long trips.

As for your problem, you say the plug is getting black which would mean a rich condition and yes that would slow you down. My advice go to your Honda dealer and order a 78, 80, 82, 84 jet and start experimenting with plug chops until you get the best speed with a normal read on your plug. Also, you may want to consider synthetic 2 stroke oil and then you can use anywhere from a 50:1 mixture to the factory 25:1 without worrying about too much or a seize.

I run LeoVince with an 80 jet everything else stock and have no problems. I also switched to the synthetic oil and prefer the burn and the extra lubricating factors it affords.

thanks guys ...im gonna take fuel line off and get a fuel filter....i called the honda dealer and they said i have to bring in my old jet to order new jets....does anyone know wat size it is? well i guess i have to take it off any ways to clean again......and get the synthetic oil...thanks for all the help i hope this makes it run smoother and faster than my girlfriends brothers....

oh and JB wat will happen to hit if he doesnt upjet?? thanks again

*****to his if he

sorry mispelled it lol

Before I got the jetting correct I soft seized 2 x on some long trips running wot at top speed not fun. If this happens repeatedly it will lead to scoring of the cylinder and loss of compression and possible hard seize. You seem to be running rich so you may already have a higher number jet than stock or the previous owner could have drilled it. I'd stick with new jets from the dealer they're cheap, about 6 bucks a piece and you know exactly what size your putting in.

One last thing consider lining your tank. I did it and no ore rust problems. I like KBS coatings, they give you a 3 step kit and it has held up. They're made for motorcycles and you get enough material for two tanks. So if you get together with a buddy you both can do your tanks for the price of one. And put in a in line filter to keep the dirt out.

ok so i bought the fuel filter and new fuel line and ordered jets and decided to change it when jets came in...so i go out and cruise yesterday and i hit a bump and it just stops...and wont start so i swicth spark plug and it runs....like a couple hours later...it just like stops like no power only goin 15mph max...does any one know wat happened now? oh i put in the synthetic oil and my friend said that might have messed it up bcuz its thick? please i need help again lol

JB oh man u think i soft seized mine?? bcuz it doesnt go more than 15mph if that mostly 10mph..im gonna take it all aprt maybe tom and see...how could i tell if i soft seized it??

Did you use synthetic 2 stroke oil because it aint thick. If you want email me direct and I'll try to help you sort everything out.

If you are running- but just running slow- you could have a clogged exhaust port. I had that problem on one of my hobbits when I first picked it up. It wouldn't go past 7 mph because the exhaust port was so fouled with carbonized junk. You might try taking off your exhaust and checking the port, and maybe cleaning out the pipe.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account