Carb size debate: does bigger really hurt low end?

Noah K /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

So I have a 21mm PHBG on my 75cc polini v1, and I've been noticing a bunch people saying that smaller carbs = more low end while a bigger carb is better for top speed. I start thinking, maybe I should get a smaller carb since I mostly care about low/mid range (not that my current accerelation is bad). But what I started to question is, how is having a 21 mm carb and opening it 3/4 different from having a 15mm carb and being WOT? Seems to me that if you have a big carb and want good low end, just don't crank it to full throttle right away, do half or three quarters. Then open it up once you get going. I mean I guess there would be slightly less velocity through the intake and everything, given that those would still be the full width. Thoughts?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account