puch forks that arent lame?

My friend is a bicycle mechanic and was telling me that the stock puch maxi forks are terrifying and that the EBR's are of the quality of walmart bike forks. having seen an EBR fork in person I can attest to the improvement in stiffness, but stamped steel triple clamps? is there anything stiffer/stronger/better dampened that will work?

Re: puch forks that arent lame?

tomos which happen to be made by ebr.

or dirtbike forks, then you can hit jumps

What models/makes of dirt bike have compatible shock length/headset, etc?

I hate my maxi forks more than anything on my bike, I bottom them out on everything cause of my size (6'6" x 200lb). My headset is always getting loose, and my forks swing >1" at hubs every time I brake at front (fucking ghetto and scary), tightening head nut seems to be in vain.

I saw cast alloy EBRs, but I would like some full gas moto shocks, so I can jump speed bumps/pedestrians/Chinese scooters/lap dogs at 40.

I am looking to put some "real" forks on my bike, and I want to know what fits closest before the hacking begins. A convenient disc brake caliper that happens to be already mounted in the right place would be nice too.

Any ideas?

It dos not fit at once. But with some effort it's possible.

It's from a pitbike.

Those look fantastic!! Me likey!! What all do you need to do to attach them, any really serious machining?

The "pin" that go's in the frame has to be made longer. (welding).

And you will have to do some work at the brakes.

Can't tell you more,i didn't continue with this front end because it's a little bit heavy..

lotsa people do 50's and 60's on stock maxi forks.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

a lot of people are silly.

Cory (mrdr 133) /

stock maxi forks aren't that bad.

Maybe downhill mountainbike forks might work?

i did low 50's on stock maxi forks with busted plastic guider caps. It got a lil squirrely but don't be afraid, it's engaging and fun!

no your wrong questlove. maxi forks are horrible. idk if your going over 30 mph or not but the second its over 30 it scary as hell.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

I rode stock maxi forks falling apart at nearly 60. It wasn't fun and I will never do it again. They are dangerous and not meant to travel that fast. Do yourself a favor and get some decent forks if you want to go fast.

Sorry, but I hate seeing big $$ builds all pretty like and have shitty stock forks. Drop the extra $150 for a bit of safety. And you know whats really coool? Decent forks make the bike much more predictable, stable and handle better. So is there really any reason not to get good forks?

Cory (mrdr 133) /

i'm not wrong...and people debate this, honestly....a lot of dutch people say EBRs arent really that great. the tomos forks or something from a pit bike would be a lot better. you can keep the stock maxi forks, and get better springs...ebrs aren't really that special

im not saying ebrs are amazing im says stock maxi forks suck big harry nut sac.

sometimes its like people dont realize what personal opinion means.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

yea and this thread is asking for opinion.

I didn't say buy ebrs. Well its implied because no one else makes forks, but buy the expensive tomos hydraulic ebrs or the magnum inverted super ones. The cheap ebrs are a step up from stock maxi forks, but not by much.

Once you've ridden a nice set of forks at high speeds you see how crappy maxi forks are. This is my opinion and I think many people share it.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

and if they don't, they haven't gone fast enough on maxi forks.

you want scary? Try ciao forks. They'll knock the teeth out of you head. and they make the most frightening clunk when you hit a big pot hole. At least they're pretty solid, just maybe more then you might like.

I'm worried that that pothole/shock "clunk" will happen and I'll find my nuts pinned and mashed between my seat and tripletree plate, as my bi-folded frame and I (now painfully joined) careen toward a big approaching steam roller...

Or perhaps, the damn stock forks just fold under I am catapulted into a cement mixer, where I am unknowingly poured into a highway project alive, entombed forever; authorities puzzled for years about the mysterious appearance of my riderless broken moped at the project site, eventually writing it off as a prank.

Ok, I had to let my inner goth out there, lol, I need to build some forks, looks like, or gank some off a junk mx'er.

whew...hope the above gynxes anything bad till I can get some better forks on my baby. :-)

"my forks swing >1" at hubs every time I brake at front (fucking ghetto and scary), tightening head nut seems to be in vain."

sounds like you might need some new tube slider bushings:

http://www.mopedshop.com/moped-shocks-p/puc349130126.htm

roadent$ craig /

switching from stock maxi forks to ebr's was like night and day. i dont know why everyone hates on ebr's. i like mine.... headset still gets lose now and then... just another thing to tune up along with everything else.

Chrome EBR's are step up from stock, all be it a baby step.

The heavy duty Magnum (cast alloy triples) ones are much nicer, stiffer, and lighter w/ more travel.

The inverted hydro ones are the shit, but heavy as hell (like 10 lbs heavier).

I have one bike that has full hydro suspension w/ mono shock rear it it doesn't feel like a moped, it feels like a small motorcycle, and I'd feel totally safe (other then the brakes) going 70 on that frame. Stock mopeds over 50 feel sketchy no matter what.

pics of mono-shock!!

These are a little old but you get the idea. Look for the "pinto3" post this coming spring which will have the final project pics in it as well as a build log; also keep an eye out for the "Pinto4" and "Pinto5" projects that I will hopefully be done with by spring.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account