Reinforcing a Rigid Freespirit...

Pablo Puchasso /

I know the obvious way to do this would be to put in a standard brace bar and make it into a top tank... but I'd really like to avoid this.

So far I've considered:

-Putting an EBR fork brace on top of the rear wheel mounts... so that it arches up toward the seat and is welded to each side of the wheel mounts.

-Putting a bar diagonally from the under the seat to the bottom of the tank.

-Putting another bar diagonally (possibly horizontally) going from behind the seat to the rear axle mount (or if horizontal from somewhere behind the seat to a point on the rigid bar... where the shocks _would_ be if it weren't rigid.)

Sorry, I'm trying to describe all this when I should just post a pic with the lines drawn in. Maybe later tonight. Any suggestions? Anyone think these are great/terrible ideas?

Re: Reinforcing a Rigid Freespirit...

Pablo Puchasso /

sorry. The subject should have a "?" in it. I'm curious how to do it.

Why do you think you need to reinforce it? The tube-style frames are very strong. The rason people put frame braces into step-through style peds is because they're typically pressed-steel frames with the gas tank making them even weaker. Free-spirits don't have those type of frames.

Are you wanting to reinforce it for aethetic reasons? I guess I can see reinforcing the back end, because it's rigid. I mean, THOSE tubes or bars or whatever are pretty tiny, but I don't think you really NEED anything up front. The axle connects those two parts of the rear end though. I dunno, I could see putting a fender brace back there. I can't visualize it though.

Pablo Puchasso /

Ok. Seems that makes sense. If I reinforce the back though... will that would make it even _more_ rigid. Maybe that's a bad idea.

mono shock!

I would not worry about reiforcing a rigid dude. It's solid. Good luck to your kidneys and avoid shitty roads. Riding on a road with lots of cracks and potholes on a rigid really really hurts. And if you happen to be a little weeded, slightly scary. :) The good news is that they look awesome and are about 25 pounds lighter than a bike with shocks and a swing arm.

Pablo Puchasso /

I guess I'll kit and ride it some first then and worry about this after.

Hundreds of miles on my fast polini kitted Swinger1 rigid, no problems, except sore tail bone.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account