puch build blog, metra65, 21 dellorto

I'm in the process of building this puch newport for a friend. It will be very similar to mine with only a few minor differences. I've been working on it almost daily and I thought some of you might be interested in following along.

http://leftovermopeds.com/puch2.0/

Specs:

1977 Puch Newport

65cc MetraKit

70cc High Compression Head

21mm Dellorto PHBG Carb

Homoet 6p pipe

Long Seat

Shortened Drag Bars

Michelin Gazelle 2.25x17s (if they ever show up)

Re: puch build blog, metra65, 21 dellorto

Website doesn't seem to be working properly.

Kind of like your Bravo at "Motion What?"

Sorry, just had to do it!

Pablo Puchasso /

I read the blog. Could you detail your method for case matching without shavings getting into the engine? Just curious.

Damn, that was harsh, Philip . :)

The site appears to be back up and running now. Not sure why it was out.

I did the case match with a shop towel shoved down by the connecting rod. It took 3 smaller sections of the towel to get it fit in there nice and tight while still allowing room for me to work on the case. After I was finished, I held the engine upside down over a garbage can and pulled the shop towel pieces out. I then reached in there to wipe out any tiny pieces. Nothing made it behind the towel, but there were still a few pieces in the area that I cut out. As soon as I wiped them out with my hand, it was good to go. I double checked everything on the bench afterwards and I didn't see any indication of material making its way into the engine.

This build is fun because I was able to order everything I needed in one shot...since I'm spending someone else's money.

I've heard of people putting a bunch of duck tape in there, then filling it with wax to avoid splitting the cases for port matching... It seems like it would be pretty easy not to get shavings in there... Plus it's not like you couldn't flush it out with gas and compressed air... However if you have it off the bike, you are way better off rebuilding before putting a huge kit on there to blow all of your shitty seals out and the high rpms will surely kill some 40 year old bearings...

Good advice.

Sometimes I need to learn by breaking it myself first though. :)

Silly Putty!

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

play-doh is amazing.

I tell my bropeds, if you plan on going over 50 mph do a rebuild.

thats good advice dallas, since everyone plans on doing fifty, does forty-five, and tells everyone fifty.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Whats awesome is that e50s take like 20 minutes max to tear down. Replacing seals and bearings is easy protection. The often ignored area is electrical. Get a new condenser and points. Thats the best $20-30 you can spend and if you wanted to do 50, maybe now you do 55.

roadent$ craig /

i regret replacing my electrical with my rebuild and kitting... i got a string of bad parts and now it doesnt run at all... ive been mopedless for 2 months. electrical was working great before the rebuild.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

bad parts? Crummy points or what? Paying the extra few $$ for bosch is worth it.

how much are new bearings and seals? like 55 bucks max? do it once, do it right.

sorry didnt mean to seem like a dick.

good bloggage tho!

No problem. I don't get too worked up about that sort of stuff. I figure it's all part of learning what to do and what not to do.

I may ask for some advice when putting the carb on this bike. It's a totally different intake setup from mine.

Dude you cutting a little close to the edge there on that case matching?

Better check that puppie for air leaks

I pushed it as far as I was willing to go without having to add material to the outside edge. I didn't have any problems with air leaks on my last two builds. I'll check this one out when it's up and running. We'll see.

Of course there are only two, Dallas being one of them, in the Bropeds that can even hit 50. I bet if he reads this he still won't agree my ped can do it. I need to borrow a GPS at Bombourbon III.

more like goes forty and says 50.

thats a good rule of thumb. i've seen quite a few bikes blown up because of bad-seal airleaks going well under 40.

Thoughts on the carb/intake setup I just posted?

Stock exhaust headers work great as intakes. Make sure its cleaned well.

That was a brand new part from treats.

I've heard that exhaust headers work well, but I don't see how they could. The bolt pattern for the intake is different than it is for the exhaust.

I'm using the same intake set-up.....haven't run it yet, but was wondering the same thing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account