The solution for Sachs 505 clutch problems!

Good Evening!

I'm here to tell you about the Sachs 505, one of the widespreaded moped engines in Germany.

First, there many many versions of it.

1-speed automatic

2-speed handshift

2-speed footshift

3-speed handschift

These engines are avaible with kickstart (footshift only) and pedal start. In Germany are 2 Versions, Mofa 25km/h, with the letter B, and Moped 40/45/50 km/h with the letters C(40km/h) and D (50/45km/h). A was used if i'm right only at the 504.

The avaible kits are:

50ccm/38mm Athena/Eurocylindro

65ccm/43mm Autisa (very old)

70ccm/45mm Athena/Eurocylindro

70ccm/45(,5??)mm Malossi (out of production)

80ccm/48mm Athena/Eurocylindro

80ccm/48mm Zeta (out of production)

80ccm/48mm Gringo by Mopshop, produced by Eurocylindro (out of production)

80ccm/48mm Athena/Eurocylindro Membran

To reinforce the clutch, you need a third disc or a second spring.

This is the exploded view of an ordinary clutch:

And this is an exploded view of an 3 disc clutch, which was in some 505:

You see, it has 4 steel discs and 3 clutch discs.

But if you build in the discs, your pin's (no 14) would be too short. They must be 19,6mm long, and 3mm in the diameter...

If you reinforce your clutch this way, it tuning will be no problem ;)

I hope that I could help you... and if you have questions, ask me :D

Re: The solution for Sachs 505 clutch problems!

i just rebuilt a sachs clutch and there where no #14 pins in it at all, but one of the plates had holes for them the others did not. whats with that?

also good info man thx.

What thickness are the metal plates so you can run four in an automatic sachs?

those pins are for manual clutch sachs only. They make the clutch disengage when the cable is pulled, instead of the opposite.

the automatic engines do not have pins.

Yes your confusion is that we are using the 1 speed automatic motors. There is a way to use a 3 plate clutch with the one speed motors. Its just that it requires you to use clutch discs that seam to be unavailable. The manual trans motors and the 1 speed motors all use the thick clutch plates. To use a 3 clutch plate clutch you are supposed to use a thin clutch plate that I have been unable to find anywhere. I have a full breakdown and schematic of the parts and there order of installation. I just can not get the required clutches.

couldn't you just take some of the thick ones and sand them down to be thinner?? then run 3?

I'm not sure. I think the originals are 2.5mm and the 3 pack clutches are 1.7mm. I'll have to check. But the metal backing might be to thick to pull this off.

i don't think the automatic 1 speed clutches have metal backing arn't they just all material? the other kind has a metal back plate and an offset oval of clutch material (like in a manual 2 speed)

i could be wrong tho.

Ive seen both types of clutch discs. Spartaman did have them but the metal backed ones he has are worn. I was thinking of ordering some and having them resurfaced. Anyone know the thickness of the metal on those? Then you could have them resurfaced thinner and only use the thin metal plates between them.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

my manual 2 speed has the full fiber disks, not the metal disks with the material oval, also it has the extra plates in there.

How thick are the plates and stuff?

My buddy scored one of the super clutches from germany... I will see If he will let me measure them.

Thin metal internal plate- 1.7mm

thick metal internal plate- 2.5mm

fiber external plate- 3.5mm

metal/fiber external plate- 2.7mm

clutch hub 15.2mm

That's averages from the pile of stuff I have, nothing is new so it's all a little thin/worn.

I have tried to get someone on ebay.de to sell me one of those uber clutches, but none of them have ever replied back. I can understand though as whenever I get an e-mail that has obviously been auto translated through a program I ignore it. Also one other difference I gleaned from looking at the pics of the uber clutch is little blades or fins on the outside of the cup deal, I ass u me to slosh around more fluid?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account