Eliminating pedals? Starting?

So, I've seen lots of videos of some crazy Peugeot 103's. I'm wondering what people do when they eliminate the pedals. I"m guessing that the drive pulley has it's own bearing, so a straight peice of steel could work instead of the bottom bracket and cranks.

When someone eliminates the cranks and pedals, how do you start the bike? Push starts?

Re: Eliminating pedals? Starting?

Push it... Push it real good. :)

I've seen a few people start their peds by spinning the flywheel w/ their foot too.

or kick the back wheel

Eliminating pedals? Starting?

Okey, so I have half my answer. Those who remove the pedals, just push start, or hand start it. ;-) I can accept that answer. I'd rather like to have a kickstarter. We'll see what I come up with.

So, what are people installing in the bottom bracket to make the pegs, instead of the spindle and pedals? Do the drive pulleys have bearings inside of them? or are those part of the spindles?

keep your pedals. Its like TWO kickstarters. You can't beat that with a stick. Also having the option to help your bike out on a steep patch is really nice, especially if you haven't done anything to it yet.

bearings are part of the pulley. easy mod.

Cornering clearance can be a problem. I know "just rotate the pedals 180 deg.." that doesn't always happen like it should. I still get caught out every so often on my road bike. Pedal strike is a very scary thing.

I won't be ditching the pedals until after I get a few other changes made to the bike.

I've got big plans for my little peugeot.

rotating the pedals in a turn just be a natural thing. its like riding a bicycle.

haha. this reminds me of when we had a garelli whose starter clutch blew up and to get her running to make it back home we revved a rear wheel against the magneto to engage the engine. worked like a charm. so many ways to start a moped

I prefer pedals, just in case I need the extra power at start up. I live in a land of big hills though.

^explain that Garelli starting technique. I had one with the same problem. I'd have to go running down the block with it, much to my non mopeder friends' glee.

They took the back tire of a running moped, and touched it to the ignition flywheel of the other moped. The spinning tire rubbed the flywheel, causing it to spin. Viola, started moped.

At least thats' what he described, and it does make sense.

SO, since switching from pedals to pegs is so easy... why aren't there any tutorials? What do you use to fill in the bottom bracket? What is used in place of the spindle?

I don't understand why you would remove pedals from a moped... That's what makes them awesome... Take away the pedals and you have a weak little motorcycle...

I wouldn't be the first to do it. Look around a bit ;-) a large portion of the hotrod mopeds have pegs versus pedals. I really didn't want to argue the point, but here we go.

I have no intention of pedaling this bike. If I wanted to pedal, I'd break out my bicycles. ... And I do. Regularly. I do roughly 17mph on two wheels and pedals.

I bought the moped, specifically to have a small, light, low power motorcycle. I have bikes that will do 130mph. ;-)

For the winter, I'll be using the bike to have a silly time in the snow. Come spring, I'll be buying sticky tires and use it in parking lots to improve my riding technique.

To that end, pedals are a problem. Motorcycles don't have moving footpegs. Moving footpegs makes for a difficult time getting proper form. Moving from a left to a right hand turn requires a quick move across the bike, doing so, and managing to move the pedals properly won't be an easy transition.

As it stands I have enough trouble with pedal strike on my road bikes. I am happy to eliminate that annoyance.

Well crap, how does one edit a post?

>Well crap, how does one edit a post?

You don't! :)

Also, what kind of self-respecting sysadmin lets you bring a bicycle into the server room? If you're the sysadmin in question, why do you photograph your bike in the server room? That's just depressing man, living out most of your day in a cold loud cave...

(ask me how i know)

I thought the backgrounds were interesting. I've seen at least fifty pictures of bicycles in front of white garage doors. I wanted something different. ..... I have different.

I work in the NOC at an ISP. Likely much the same as you. It's my butt if I screw up. ;-) It's not nearly the most scary thing that's happened in that DC.

Two months ago they decided clients didn't like the (and I've never, ever, ever, heard a complaint, and most just looked out while they were on calls...) the windows, in our 10th floor data center. It's not like it's exactly a security hole. And if they want to claim it is, there are larger ones to deal with. So they plastered over them.

End result? I get no more natural light.

I was a very bored boy one 12 hour shift on a saturday. I replaced the bar tape, and put on the sora shifters you see there. How does this suit your fancy?

And out in nature:

So back to the subject at hand? Lets talk replacing pedals with pegs. :-) I am seriously considering mounting the cranks so they both hang down at the same time, and clip them up to work as pegs. Like they used to do on FS1Es

just get pegs and mount them to your rear shock bolts.

That turns your legs, and potentially your whole body into unsprung weight. Not a good option. :-) If I wanted to do that, i'd have bought a solex.

"these": http://quarterkick.com/frame/pedal-pegs/prod_89.html fit on the shaft where your crank arms attach.

So I see. People dont' replace the spindle, they just get pegs that fit instead of the crankarms.

That's actually pretty interesting... Technically if you have grippy shoes, you could kick start the bike still... Wait until you hit a steep hill though that is about to blow up your engine because the RPMS are so high and you start rolling your feet over these pegs and it doesn't work... ;)

Peugeot claims that my bike should climb an 18% grade without pedaling. The steepest grade I've found in illinois is a little more than 10%.

Especially in the spring with a 70cc kit, I don't see climbing hills to be a problem.

Nerobro, roof pics are awesome. Sucks about the windows, but I guess it's all part of the job. I quit that shit, and now I repair vintage synthesizers for a living. Much happier existence :)

How about a rear-wheel kickstarter? Basically emulate the action of the pedals but with something attached to the hub or close to it, allowing you to kick start the ped but not for the chain to make the starter a deadly spinning foot remover. Either some clever brackets/bends, or put a sprocket on the freewheel mechanism and have a much smaller sprocket on the kickstarter, or add an extra duplicate freewheel mechanism.

What size needle bearings go in a stock pug plastic pulley

Michael Sheeler /

I just put these on my 50V, love 'em.

https://www.treatland.tv/beefy-black-moped-foot-pegs-p/replay-beefy-blk-foot-peg-1060.htm

I had to scrap the kickstand for my pipe, so I was push starting with pedals anyway. On a bad day, I push start in three steps. Good day, zero or one step.

Simplest pull start ever on my 103 spx.

matt boda1nz /

Chris Rice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't understand why you would remove pedals

> from a moped... That's what makes them awesome...

> Take away the pedals and you have a weak little

> motorcycle...

leave the pedals on and you still have a weak little motorcycle.

wait until you are forced to remove them for other reasons. #1 reason: huge pipe.

truthfully though, if ur gonna get sticky tires and do "riding style" stuff, why not leave them on? for turning clearance if nothing else.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account