Can diesel fuel be run in these?

Has anyone had any luck running diesel in a somehow modded moped (Puch e50)? What would it take, just super high compression..?

Is this cool? Fast? Super efficient? Workable with biodiesel?

I want my moped to be loud, and have thick black smoke for the yuppies, and get 200mpg, and run on amped french fry oil, and I'll paint up the bike to be "The Hamburgler"; yeah, I can picture it now, pimpin!

...Or would I have better luck putting some maple syrup in my tank instead, and installing a wooden carb...

Re: Can diesel fuel be run in these?

i'd run the highest compression possible and the hottest plug possible. and magic.

I ran diesel in my 2 stroke ped once. I had some in a container for cleaning parts, and forgot it was diesel. I put it in a moped, and it wouldn't run, but if I would spray carb cleaner in it, it would run while burning diesel. No power, tons of smoke. Just mix it 50/50 with 2 stroke and put on a big smoke show at 12mph.

For all practical purposes, it can not be done, not with a 2 stroke.

The old detroit diesels are 2 stroke. The 53, 71, 92, 149 series to be exact....we are talking giant cubic inch engines...

i would tend to think its possible but engine would get REALLLLLLLLLY hot and you would probbably end up siezing

you could machine your own head to be super high compression but you might break your rod at that point

also glowplugs lawl

Everyone forgets the Lohmann...

You might be able to run it 10% or maybe 15% diesel and forget the 2 stroke oil. You will still get plenty smoke

Why not ethanol and a small amount of (bio)diesel for lubrication (instead of 2 stroke oil)? Greenped

now that is really an interesting idea. i'm going to do some research tomorrow and i'll get back to youse guys. ethanol and some sort of plant oil.

I don't know if pure oil will work. It might not burn right and be too gunky. Biodiesel is an awesome lubricant, but you'd need bd-resistant gaskets and hoses.

If your moped was a 4-stroke, it would still be a project of moderate difficulty. With a 2-stroke like most peds around here -- forget it. It's going to seize.

I saw a post on one of these forums where somebody said they were using canola oil instead of petroleum-based 2-stroke oil. And of course, castor oil is bio.

Just do your homework so you don't end up with too little lubrication and seize your engine.

Yes, there are big 2-stroke diesels. But a key to diesel operation is fuel injection. You can't make a diesel run without detonation by having all the fuel enter with the air like in a gasoline engine. Gasoline is formulated not to detonate during compression (octane rating). Diesel is rated in cetane number, which indicates how easily it ignites during compression. Diesel injectors shoot the fuel in at the end of the compression cycle, so preignition (compression knock) is not an issue.

A couple of the South Dakota boys are running ethanol and bean oil on 50+ bikes, 300+psi compression.

Nate Bandit, put some diesel in his tank at ghost ride 3 by mistake.

It ran, It smoked. it did not blow up.

Kerosene has a nice odor

If I'm not mistaken, Canola oil was the first 2 stroke lubricant used. Local Hero Matt was running some sort of bean based oil for a while. Graham, info please, do it to it engineer boy.

^ i think youre thinking about castor oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil

ah, that'd be the one

nothin smells better than kolts super techniplate oil and sunoco 110 racegas it is bomb

I use sunoco 110 mixed with 100LL from the airport with techniplate.

Even my girlfriend loves the smell.

Try rapeseed oil...yes rape. you can pour it in any diesel tank from the grocery store, used widely in Europe.

Do you know which of the SD duders are running E85, Derek? I can get it super cheap here in Iowa and might be up for trying that.

canola is domesticated rapeseed. canola, big fan, post about it all the time...

perhaps you can mix it with nitromethane.

don't use ethanol. you'll get shitty mileage!

there is 1/3rd less energy contained in a gallon of ethanol compared to one gallon of gasoline.

Diesel burns too hot. There are 2 cycle diesels, but they were designed for diesel. not a good idea without extensive modification.

Yeah, I know that ethanol equals bad milage, just want to buy fuel from my local farmers if I can.

also, ethanol easily absorbs water, which will not make your moped run so good...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account