lead

anyone ever use lead substitute in the gas they put in their moped?

Re: lead

I always do. I run it in my GTO and since I have it I figured I would try it out in the ped too.

why? Lead protects the valves in older engines with non hardened valve seats. You are already putting oil in gas for a moped, and using lead as a lubricant is kind of useless at that point.

I use it just 'cause I hate everything that breathes and I want it all to die.

Two-stroke engines (98% of mopeds) don't need lead and never have.

all old puchs say "leaded gas only". but you don't need that. lead was for valves, 2 strokes have no valves. in africa most people still use leaded gas.

It warns leaded gas only so people wouldn't try to use kerosene or other camp fuels.

can you run a moped on kerosene? i thought it was similar to diesel.

it is flamable... and non taxed... thats why kerosene pumps will say undied untaxed federal law blah blah its illegal to run in street legal motor vehicles

and non taxed means it is not supported by the goverment for vehicles.

will it do harm to your engine? It burnes pretty hot(at least hotter than diesal) whouldnt that make you seize?

The first unleaded gas was like white gas (basically camp fuel). They soon reformulated it to be cool with older motors, in the meantime the label was put on the bike, now the label is obsolute. In fact there is a recent post where someone actually listed (like a chemist) what's in gas and the history of modern fuel (brief).

Run the damn unleaded gas and oil, it won't harm your shit. Substitute some nothing for the lead substitute, you don't need it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account