help with some mods on an '84 suzuki fa50

alright, here's what i'm planning on doing.

swap fa50 10mm mikuni carb with a fz50 14mm mikuni carb. i know they work. rejet it from a 77.5 to an 80, possibly 82.5, but that might be pushing it.

ok, i need some advice on exhaust, because stock exhaust is....shitty.

also, what can i do with the transmission, if you can call it that.

i'm still exploring here, and i want advice.

i also heard a rumor, i'm pretty sure it's fake though, but i wanna know.

apparently, you can take the head off of a puch maxi, shave it down, and it'll fit on the fa50? and it'll give it more power? wtf. wtf. wtf.

ok, thanks for your help.

-josh

Re: help with some mods on an '84 suzuki fa50

it might work actually with the puch head, all you gotta worry about is the bolt pattern. they're cheap enough i guess. um... i think your transmission is gonna stay the way it is, and occasionally treats has a performance exhaust for you.

i guess your other option would be buying an expansion chamber with no header and clamping it on you header.

i just read your profile, defnitly make things about fares and flat rates on the bike.

Frostback Ditch /

I`m running my FA50 with a simo pipe from treats, slightly larger exhaust port, shaved higher compression head, and slightly up-jetted stock carb. I`m hitting 60km on flats while only losing a little bit of low end.

I`m not sure about re-gearing as that stupid transmition is preventing anything from easily being done.

i am running a rebuilt motor by a pro. stock carb and intake. milled head and a biturbo hitting with zero torque(advanced timing). jeted 1-2 sizes to high. any one know where to get jets or a bigger carb?

i hit 30 before 4 stroking. so yeah i need a smaller jet.

p.s good to hear other people r playing with the idea of making theirs fast.

Frostback Ditch /

I found dellorto jets work in our carbs. I`ve got many spare ones since I have a SHA for the Moby

Simoni Pipe, just got it from treats. Going to put that on and play with it from there. Prolly gonna shave the head 5-10 thou, and run a larger carb and cut some reeds out of a carbon tech blank. I've never seen anything made for these things other than a pipe.

do you know off hand if the FA50 has a 12mm piston wrist pin? I haven't had time to pull out the FA50 I have to check, and I have some 70cc kits that are for the suzuki that say FA50.

i have my fa50 doing 35/36 on gps i have stock pipe choped with a bigger inner pipe(in the muffler) ported and smooth jug 050 over and shaved head. And a 2.75-14 tire.

Wait what? Did you just say you have 70cc fa50 kits?

yup i thought he was drunk the first time he said it to :P (he was but still correct.

Frostback Ditch /

Shit, when you say a few, how many are you talking about?

Frostback Ditch /

I'd love to buy one from you

so we have been trying to get my buddies FA50 moving, got the pipe from treats, he found a K&N and got jets straight from suzuki, so far we have lost low end power and gained nothing up top, milling the head is next i guess?

oh god. somebody's going to have to give me a nice run-down of how to shave the head, considering... i've never done it before.

and it seems like that's going to be the only thing that works.

i've looke into the simonini pipes, but the power band on those is like, 30 or 40mph, right? won't that be hard to hit? and i'd like to know if anybody else has tried the fz50 carb...it seems like it'd work fine.

and yeah. LET ME BUY A KIT TOO!

and what about fares and flat rates?

thanks for your help, everyone.

please, keep this thread going, i want to learn everything i can about my machine, i never plan to retire her.

advance your timing (eats even more bottom end) and port (or just get every thing back to stock specs)

bump!!!!

I have not tested the kits just yet, but there are 70cc kits available for the Suzuki. I just need to pull out the FA50 I have and confirm the wristpin diameter and stroke is correct. These kits are made for the suzuki though. I can’t sell them on quarterkick.com until we have tested them though. See attached photo.

I just mounted one of these up. The wrist pin diameter is the same and the stroke length is the same. the only difference is that the exhaust studs are paralell instead of one higher one lower.

what problems will that cause?

just means that the stock exhaust will not mount up at the same angle from the frame.

Well heres the scoop on what i know. a buddy of mine has an 86 fa 50..im pretty sure its the same...he is the one with a puch head on his. i know because i put it there. what we had to do was file out the stud holes because they were in a slightly diff location. it is quite the power remedy. good for about 35 on stock everything else.

as for the exhaust. also we used a puch exaust. why the puch parts you ask? because i have an abundence of them. we cut down a puch exhaust pipe and welded it to the shuttle header. its now good for a steady 40 mph flat land. i can arrange for pictures of the mods if you like?

when r these kits coming out? and when if ever will u be doing another run 1 year? 6months? 10years or more?

I have 2 kits in stock, will be sending out to the Bandits to tune and verify. After they test it, I will list the other one and order more.

dude, i'd love pics of those puch parts. i'm going to try to do the head thing....is there any way you could ship me a head with those holes shaved out? name a price...just not TOO pricey.

i was going to do that, get the bigger carb, and get...prolly a biturbo, and weld it to the pipe from the original exhaust. i could easily get 45 that way.

oh, and chad, about the exhaust...i have the tools to just bend the pipe, too. shouldn't be too hard to get it to the right angle.

sweet o and biturbo's power band kicks in at about 15 (the bottom) just so u know it will rob a lot of low end torque. on the head just mill your stock one unless u can get a puch one for dirt cheap. if u know some one smart with 2 stroke that would do a favor for u, ask them if they will redesign your combustion chamber. (really smart, i have heard of the better of the dutch and go kart racers doing it. but not the average ones)

Dude if you pay the shipping ill probly just hook you up with one. we made two of them monkeying around with the cooling veins. ill see if i can figure out how to put those pics up on here.

sweet, man, thanks. the head, you mean?

is there any exhaust with a powerband of about 25? wouldn't that be good? i mean, if i do end up getting a kit, the simonini would be perfect. i don't know.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account