*free mod* turning a dellorto 12/10 into a 13/13

Cory (mrdr 133) /

this is in my continual quest to add useful information to our performance section. i'm also adding the links to this stuff into the wiki. feel free to add to it. BUT here's how to do it, translated from the dutch. NOTE THIS IS DONE WITH A VESPA TUNER IN MIND.

p.s. this works on other sizes as well examlple: 14/12 to 15/15 or 16/16 etc. BUT other dellorto's past 16 do have more than one main jet, so stick to the smaller sizes MMMKAY?

What tools do you need:

Very small-screwdriver for removing the SPRAYBAR

8mm for the removal of the clamp bolt and the fuel hose connector. Flat-screwdriver to remove the chokelever, washer and etc. boxcutter for the removal of cotterpin and spraybar

dremel, and propane torch for removal of the nozzle holder.

Now you disassemble the entire carburetor with the removal of the spraybar being the most difficult, but can be done in a few minutes. First heat the nozzle holder with the torch. you must heat. it because the spraybar is fitted with a clamp, and needs to be heated to remove.

If you think this piece is hot enough, use the very small screwdriver in the biggest hole of the spraybar, and if you can move the spraybar left & right by turning then you can push it out. . can't move it? then it's not hot enough.

once it is where you can push it out,, then you can just pull the spray bar out with a pair of pliers.

should look like this after youre done.

From left to right:

-Enclosure with plastic wear and clamp bolt

-cover

-cotterpin & fuel valve

-choke lever screw and spring

-choke lever bolt, fuel filter

-spraybar rule needle, washer and spraybar

now you can decide how big you want to go. (but DO THIS VERY SLOW AND ON A VERY SLOW SPEED)

11?

12?

13?

after you've cleaned the inside of the carb back up you Now you mount the spraybar with the 2 holes to the side where you put the carburetor on the crankcase. and reassemble the rest of the carbuerator

this will actually only take you about 30minutes if done correctly

and blamo! 13:13 dellorto!!

you can do this with all the other dellorto sizes as well!

Re: *free mod* turning a dellorto 12/10 into a 13/

Cory (mrdr 133) /

FUCK i missed part of my post. remember to use a HAND drill to open the holes 3mm on the spraybar

figured it was that easy! so the dremel is for the spraybar? do you have a picture of what the spraybar should look like when its done? cant wait to try it out when i get around to rebuilding my bravo.

Okay, so I was gonna ask this on your other thread too, but I guess I forgot or something. All these photos are from the Dutch site(s?), right? Because it would be nice to put this in the wiki with like, headings and internal links and stuff like that, but we can't upload their pictures without permission. Is there a chance you feel like asking if we can jack their pictures? I guess if we can't but you/anyone/me still wants it in the wiki all organized-like, I can just copy the words from here and then make links to the pictures, but that might be confusing. I dunno.

in his other thread he mentioned that he got alot of help from the dutch tuners.

Im sure they wouldnt mind the few pictures up on the wiki.

I received a bit of help from them too tuning my vespa and doing vespa research. they're a ton nicer than we are.

put this in the wiki...not here

-Shadow

Cory (mrtdr 133) /

well, dude(shadow), if i asked "hey, where should i put this?" then i'd appreciate the opinon. but the fact is, A LOT of people don't use the wiki or know how to operate it. seriously. so we have a performance section for a reason.

just link this thread in the wiki for now, i'll get to putting the html in there in a little bit, i have all of the text saved.

and the dremel, use it to clean up the drill press mess. if you have any imperfections.

use a drill to go through the top of the spray bar, not the actual nozzel holes. sorry for not being clear

I really need to invest in a drill press.

free mod = purchase a drill press = not free

Cory (mrdr 133) /

OR you could go somewhere that already has one.....

last house i lived in was the house one of my best friends grew up in, and we rented it from his dad (who lived elsewhere). in the basement was a band saw and a drill press. oh, the projects we undertook!

still unsure what you mean about the spraybar holes

Okay, the wiki is linked to this discussion now.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Turn_a_Dellorto_12/10_into_a_13/13

And that article is linked in this article and this article. break>

As for "A LOT of people don’t use the wiki or know how to operate it. seriously. so we have a performance section for a reason" well, I'm working on that, I swear. There are also a lot of people who don't know how to search the forums. :)

Cory (mrtdr 133) /

they call it a spray bar. i "believe" it's refered to as an atomizer. there are two holes in the front of it, they need to face the part where the intake is, but you actually have to increase the size of the opening of the thing from top to bottom. as it's bigger on a 13/13 carb.

so wouldnt you just take 1.5mm off the end of the spray bar? so when it drops in place its right where it should be?

Man! I wish I had found this post before I paid like 80$$ on a dumb 13/13. My day job Im a metal fabricator so this is a snap for me, what a great cheap mod! Super info. Now next time Ill know.

Thanks

DAM' Fairchild /

ok,what a fucking sweet ass tip.any1 think it will work on the kinetic tfr usa,03?

i destroyed a good 12mm delorto doing this.

cAN i TURN A 15 INTO A 19??

i highly doubt it. the 19's are dellorto phgb carbs and the 15's are sha.

I don't think he's asking if you can turn a SHA into a PHBG... I think he's asking if the 15.15 has enough metal to be removed from it to open it up to a 19mm carb.

DAM' Fairchild /

i had all the tools and more.this mod is not worth the trouble if your bike is running. trust me.im not a kid nor am i stupid.the trouble i had was with the slide thing that fits in the track for the throttle.there is shavings in tight spots and its difficult to get to.the torch will melt your carb if your on it a second to long. also, when you go to drill it out,if you put it in a vice, it could easily distort the shape of the carb. i tried this on a 03 tfr. its no good. im still going to try to make this work so i will let ya all know if it works on a perfectly good running bike.

Vlado vlado /

There is not enough material in the body of carb to go over 16mm- drilling into 16mm leaves you with paper like thin wall on air intake side.

So the answer is no.

I am doing this jobs succesfully using hand cordless drill, good quality bits, standard table wise, good eye and steady hand.

Gradually going up in diameters and then polishing with rolled emory paper attached to drill and coarse steel wool also rolled into pipe like shape and tightened in one end with electrical tape to be able to hold it in the drill.

To take spray pipe out I carefully screw in sharp, tiny stainless screw and SLOWLY turn it in until I see pipe rotating (WD 40 a must!), then I patiently pull it out by screw with needle nose pliers, using it's conic shape as the level, moving up in thicknes as squeezing it - do not yanki it - the screw might get out and damage the end ...

after drilling I clean the passage for sprayer with matching size bit, I also drill with very tiny bit into the sprayer pipe to clean ridges from the screw.

After polishing into mirror like look all edges are smooth, throttle slide has to go in and out with ease, sometimes needs to be "trained" by pushing it in and out with screwdriver and a drop of WD 40 until able to get it out just by shaking.

Then I insert spray pipe back, making sure the holes are facing correct side and slightly tap it until it touches the wall.

Before putting the carb together I am using spray carb cleaner with straw to clean all shavings- by placing it in white plastic container i found out that at least 3 repeated cleanings are necessary to come out with super clean carb.

Sharp needle helps to make sure all tiny holes are not clogged.

The rest is easy, make sure rubber gasket and tip of float needle are plyable, if not get new ones.

Good luck, I could make some pics if asked.

Vlado

any one done this to an fa 50?

i have tried this before w. a sha and a bing. usully comes out wonky somehow.

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

use a countersink bit.

"any one done this to an fa 50?"

The FA50 carb can be opened up 2mm easily.

Same basic steps... However I used a mill and milled each side of the oval bore 1mm.

I have done a couple and it works well.

to do this right you need to use a drill press and a reamer.

if you cant figure out how to do this on your own you'll probably screw it up. 12:12 is almost as good and like 20 on the buy sell.

my vespa is running a little over 14mm on drilled stock, its about as far as i could go safe, my puch with standard sha is tapered out from 15 something.

thinking of doing this. ideally you would use a ream right? i have access to a decent shop. i just dont know if i should do this now or wait until i have the polini 70cc.

can you bore out an intake manifold too? i'm cheap.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

if this is from vespa-ciao.nl, they have given me permission to use photos from these write ups on here forever ago, i just never did. just give the wiki article a link back to the original article on their site and have at it.

also, remember, you can't maker your carb any bigger than your slide is wide.. in fact, i think you need like at least .5mm on either side of the slide to get a good seal.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account