downhill needed for moby powerband

setup: 50V, 70 airsal, 20phbg, G3, 2 ball variator.

my moby rips pretty hard but won't fully go into the powerband without a little gravitational assistance. once it gets there it will stay in it as long as i don't hit any major hills. i'd like to be able to hit the powerband a little more easily. lets hear it.

Re: downhill needed for moby powerband

Are you fully variating?

SPC's for moby powerband ?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

What is your port timing at ?

Exhaust port duration ??? Deg

Port shape ?

Exhaust port opens at ???deg ATDC.

Exhaust port opens ?? mm / .???" ATDC.

Port height ?? mm / .??".

Port width ??? mm / .???" = ??% of Bore.

Intake / transfer ports

Ports open ??? deg ATDC.

Ports open ?? mm / .???" ATDC.

Intake / transfer ports duration ??? deg.

Ports height….. ?? mm / .???".

Shape of transfer ports ??

pointing away from exhaust port.

Ports width..?? mm / .?

Rest of set up ????

Bat out

Re: SPC's for moby powerband ?

also, with that set up, you should really get a varplus...like now.

A var plus doesn't change anything after the variator is fully opened, except that it might raise the final gearing a bit, i'm not sure.

What's your sprocket setup?

the varplus removes 200 grams of weight compared to stock

hrmmm i remeber having a really funny conversation about going faster downhill.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

im guessing you are dropping the variator a little too soon, and its dropping before it gets revved up.

going downhill gets you into the powerband. try putting 3 or 4 balls in and see the difference.

Maybe if you weren't sitting around eating blueberry pancakes all the time, you wouldn't have a problem.

I get in my powerband, but then again, I'm not a slob.

i have a suspicion that this might be variator related. i do own a varplus but i ran into some obstacles during installation. the varplus wouldn't fit on the shaft freely like the variator, too small inside diameter.

Mr. Richard Dickrich /

I have the same problem.

50V

70 cc Polini

AV10 Polini bottom end

Malossi Crank

21mm Delorto

G3

Var Plus with Middle weights

12 tooth sprocket

The engine doesn't really rev till i start sloping downward. Don't get me wrong, it still rips on flat ground, but it is incredible on a downward slope.

Which ways should I go with the weights and the sprocket?. I've got an 11 and 13 tooth available.

Kind of a threadjack, but this could help honky too.

if you are having trouble getting into the powerband you don't want the 13 front. At what speed does your variator open up all the way. That engine will make more rpms than mine and I run 11/54 gearing with 4 of the heaviest weights in it. I'd try 6 of the lightest or even 4 of the heaviest for your setup. You want to keep the bike in the lowest gear possible for as long as possible. The bike might be shifting into a higher ratio before you can into the powerband and keeping it from really getting there. Although that setup should have no problem getting there at all. What is your ignition timing set to? it should be at 1.5 for that if not 1.3mm BTDC You could just have a really wrong timing keeping your bike slow. Run the lightest weights you can while still getting the plate all the way open on a flat wide open. You'll know if they are too light cause the motor won't be able to open it all the way up and it will scream at 35mph or so.

Mr. Richard Dickrich /

Thanks Jesse. I'll check the timing, but how would my timing work OK on a downward slope, but not be OK going uphill? Or are RPMs a factor with timing?

I am not sure what speed the variator opens all the way, but I think it is early- say 30. I will try the lightest weights and see the impact.

Mr. Richard Dickrich /

If I am reading this correctly, maitland is saying to add more weights to resolve the issue and jesse is saying remove weight.

I know I can experiment , but changing the weights is a pain in the ass, and would like to do it only once.

Any one else want to weigh in? haha

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

how does it feel on a flat straightaway? do you feel significant variator lag between the time the variator opens and the time you hit the powerband?

if so you are too heavy. If you dont feel the variator drop (trust me, on your setup rich you will feel it) then you are too light.

Nick, If your variplus doesn't fit then then something is wrong or your putting it together wrong....

Mr. Richard Dickrich /

Update. Put the lightest weights in the varplus and it screams now.

The variator was previously opening all the way too soon.

Thanks for the help guys.

i think he got the wrong var plus.

it didnt fit around the shaft at all when we installed it.

he drafts me on flat ground and i pull him into his power band then he fucking flys by me its nuts

1 week till ohioo.. get thet fucker running

we have to have the right var plus. why the fuck cant we figure out how to put it on.

the varplus is just a replacement of the mobile cheek. you've gotta crack the whole damn thing and replace just the mobile cheek plate with the balls in it. after everything is back together you variator will look almost stock from the outside, except the outer (mobile) cheek plate will look new.

for ya'll who can't hit powerband::::::

advance your timing. open your point gap a bit.

POWER IS IN THE POINTS!!

the power in moby pipes is in the revs as well, increased compression is not enough. the variator is why we love them, play with it often.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

doh why did i say add weights if you were dropping the variator too soon? i must have been sober.

i know how where the var plus goes. it just doesnt want to go there

lol at ^^ , I want that on a t-shirt

or start shaving your stinger to lower the power band

p.s i have never tried this its just one of my stupid ideas that could kill a bike or make it go faster.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account