Re: UPDATE:

I agree with the SHA's, can tune for high end ok, cannot tune lowend at all. However, $66 for a brand new brand name 16mm non-leaking carb is pretty sweet. Joe

Alright, I downjetted to an 80, and it really made the difference. I also switched plugs from the ngk#8 to a #6, so it'll burn off the crap a little better. Low end is much, much better. Instead of 4stroking untill 10-15 then take off, it brought it down to before 10. I can also feel the powerband around 20-25. I haven't done any top end measurements obviosly, but I'm gonna give the circuit another chance on how it'll perform once this kit is fully broken in. Joe

Zack Rineer /

i have a 79, 82 86 jet..

i think im going to need more!

what do you suggest i start at? 86?

I'd start with the 86 and check for airleaks. If you cannot find any, then bring it down to the 80 or 82. Safe or sorry, you decide. Joe

Zack Rineer /

I hear ya.

Thanks!

I just need to get the kit in the mail and its going in next weekend.

Re: UPDATE: 10/24

A little update. Put about 120 miles on it total so far. Took head off because of a leak, and milled it down 5 thousands to make it flat again, and did the trick. Also had a look inside the engine, and it looks brand new. The walls still have some crosshatching, and theres no scratches or anything around the ports. My first gearing was stock at 14/40. Low end was awsome, but quite unnessesary running high rpms around town. Put a 16 tooth on there, and its much better. A little bit more pedaling off the line, but hooks up around 15mph and the pipe kicks in around 20. I've noticed that the pipe engages around 20, but tapers off around 30 or so, but starts back up again around 35, haulling all the way to wot. I'm guessing thats where the kit develops it power at. I need to find my gps, but it seems like low forties. Oh, I decided to see what my mpg was, and is right around 65mpg, not bad. Joe

Use a B7HS at least with this kit. b6 is too hot imho.

I was hitting 46 with this kit, techno bullet, high flow filter and 15mm bing and intake... I like it. What head are you running with it?

Re: Hows my setup?(puch)

I think you could easily hit 50 with some high gearing, but you low end will be horrible even with a 3 shoe clutch tuned properly... If you live where there are no hills I would say do it. Airsal kits are great and cheap.

I got the same setup and am running 44mph

UPDATE: 10/29

Found the gps, heres what I got: 44.1mph, 45.3 with head tucked. Engine sounds great, didn't seize, plug is dark brown. Heres my final setup:

Airsal 70cc(obviously)

15mm intake

16.16mm Dellorto SHA, 80 jet, stock filter

125psi

bpr6hs ngk

65-70mpg

Whoever said the circuit pipes don't do well with 70cc's are full of shit. Joe

Re: UPDATE: 10/29

Zack Rineer /

Joe, this is sweet to hear!!!

My kit came in today and I might put it on next weekend...

I pretty much have the same exact set-up but the tccd 70 kit and a techno boss pipe. What jet did you start out at? I have 86-82-80... what do you reccomend?

UPDATE: 10/29

I never said the pipe wouldn't work but I have seen better results with the Estroil. Glad to see you getting it dialed in.

Picked up a boss today, and installing it in an hour or so. I broke in the kit with an 83 and went down to an 80 after a couple hundred miles. Still running sweet at 40-44 on flats. Will report back with how the boss is working out. Joe

I bet you will have to jet up a little higher with the boss. You should gain a few mph with it also.

I took a few picks of the differences in the pipes. You can tell the header of the circuit pipe a couple millimeters too small with the carbon ring built up on it. I measured the inside diameters and it came out to be 24mm for the tecno circuit, and 26mm for the boss. The boss is a little quieter and a lot more deeper sounding compared to the circuit pipe. I'll upjet to the 83 I have and see what happens.

Nice bus! I have a VW sickness.

Zack Rineer /

Are you running a red 50 head? or a 70 high comp head?

Zack Rineer /

red? wtf.. forget that. lol

i meant sstock i think

Its the stock head. I milled it down 5-7 thousands because it didn't seat right. It raised the compression from 115 to 125psi. I also sandblasted the outside so it matches the kit.

Zack Rineer /

Joe,

When installing the piston, does the arrow face the exhuast port?

There was no arrow on my piston. The holes in the piston go towards the intake port.

Zack Rineer /

Oh well.. when i get home friday i will check my shit out..

i think mine has a square cut instead of the holes. i will check again friday and get back to you..

mine has an arrow and it points to the exaust and the holes to the intake.

Zack Rineer /

OK.

I have an issue. Its never easy for me....

I put the kit on, ready to fire it up, throw gas in it....

first off it was hard to crank over, i lubed everything twice.. lol

when it kicks over there is a terrible clickclank sound. I have no clue what it is... the piston is on in the right direction, i made sure of it. wtf could it be?

UPDATE: 11-26

Got the boss installed and also put the choke lever on it. With the choke lever in place, it could barely get above 25mph. Popped the metal filter out and solved the problem. Found out that without the lever in place, air could bypass the filter because the hole for the lever is after the filter. Anyways, bumped the jet to an 83 from the 80 and got some gps data back. On the same road, wot was about 45.5mph and a normal tuck got me up to 48.5mph. Did a plug chop and it was a dark brown. I'm downjetting to a 82 and see if it makes a difference, its should still be in its "safe zone". I might also throw on a 18 tooth sprocket on it and see what happens. Attached a couple pics of it complete, Pretty much a sleeper now. Joe

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account