Urban nu50 variator mods

So its out and cleaned up but Im not sure about some details before I cut it up. I plan on removing 2 grams from each weight to start but, When I took it apart I removed an o-ring that seals it all up so if i notch it what will keep all that grease inside ? has anyone modded one of these yet . Details would be nice. Pics even better. 6 Rollers are good no?

1222849079_100_1284.jpg

Re: Urban nu50 variator mods

Anyone at all ?

1222872038_100_1288.jpg

Try running it with 3 rollers before you cut them.

Is that the same as hobbit variator?

You know this is just going to help your acceleration right?

Yes I know lightening the weights will only help acceleration but something about removing 3 of the 6 makes me a little nervous . My main question is about the notching thing. I really dont know if its the same as a Hobbit but if anyone has the specs on one I can compare it to mine . Anyone?

I guess I don't get what you're talking about notching. Why do you want to notch it?

It looks just like a hobbit one to me, I bet that ramp plate and TJT that treats had would fit as well as the hobbit weights.

Take a look at the variator mods that people have done to hobbits, I bet most of it will crossover.

running with three should work just fine, and will accomplish the same thing as lightening them.

Removing material from the variator case allowing the weights to travel further out and , making the belt ride further out , changing drive ratio , and increasing top speed. Am I mistaken somehow?

im looking into doing that notch mod too, it seems like for the urban all the grease would fly out... ive got lighter weights in mine and it takes off like a king

nice scale rick.

Lol ,you like that ? It does a good job weighing stuff . lol

Ed and his father are doing Hobbits notched out and adding plates to keep the rollers in. I would just notch it a little and then try it. You want the belt to ride to thetop without the roller coming out of course. You screw it up, I have a variator assembly I would sell cheap.

Ed who ? What about the grease? how cheap?

my urban's variator is packed with nasty heavy grease. since it spins it seems like a notch would allow the grease to fly out. idk. i got cheap variator weights in a set from vtcycles in hawaii for 15 bucks.

What do they weigh each ? Do you have extra ones to trade or sell ? How do they perform?

they came with 18 weights. 3 each of 9-14 grams. ive got three tens and three elevens in my variator and wow did it make a difference on the low end. top end was not hurt at all and i think that i could even put the 9 grammers in there. performance is night and day. the express takes off like a bat out of hell.

i have the 12-14 grams that i dont need.

At what speed does your bike variate with those 10 and 11s ? Mine shifts at 12mph but I want it to variate at 20 or 22 mph . Does that sound like about what your bike does ?

more or less All those replacements the same size? Bigger than stock , Must make it push the ramp plate further ? yes ?no? Tell me more . I have the same caliper. cool

i just got done checking, it hits full variate around 18-21mph by the sound of the engine. it does the same revs after the clutch grabs and then variates until it hits 18-21 then the revs increase meaning i hit full variate. all the replacements are the same size and im not sure if it pushes the ramp plate further- i dont think they do though. it would be easy to drill out these weights since there are already holes in them if you wanted to use the ones i have.

perhaps we could trade? 19phbg adapter for urban? if you had a pipe i would throw gratuitous amounts of money at you as well.

I run a vaspa simo pipe that I made fit on my urban . I dont have an extra pipe but maybe we can work something out with the weights email me .

for what its worth, the vtcycles dudes sent me a handful of those weights and said that you can run them without the grease..

And is that what you are doing ? For how long ? What size weights are you using? Describe acceleration before and after using the weights.

Where did you buy these? Thanks

vtcycles.com

they're hawaiian brudda's so you gotta call them up to order

the site isnt as helpful as they are =]

great guys over there ***** 5 stars woohoo!

So far from what I found out about the nu50. Re9lace belt to napa bx31. Added a couple moh. Then change weight s for better acceleration. And the last thing you can do is change the stock exhaust. Treats has options. Weights should be 16x13. To go any faster on it would require a big bore kit and capping off you oil pump. Also change air box to uni filter but keep the air box. Its worth quite a bit of money

20140126_125111.jpg

« Go to Topic — end of thread