Pinging - Pre-ignition... please elaborate?

I'm trying to find info about pre-ignition. I suspect I might have a pre-ignition problem, but I'm not sure about the signs.

I have a stock peugeot 103 w/ 15/15 sha, reeds, performance exhaust, etc.

It started making a high-pitched "pinging" noise once I added the performance exhaust... but only at mid-high rpms. At full rpms, you don't always notice it.

anyhow... I've got a head gasket and base gasket. Don't want to add more and lose compression.

What about timing? should I advance it or retard it? I'd just be doing it by putting a piston stop in, and chaging the placement of the flywheel... I have the current spot marked.

thanks for the advice, the wiki is not so clear.

Re: Pinging - Pre-ignition... please elaborate?

lee's anus is leefungchowOG /

retard your timing if you are pinging. check for a little melted spot on your piston.

what about spark plug? Is minor pinging noticable by looking at the plug? My plug looks fine... could it just be my pipe has a metallic sound? It's a simonini "top one" from treats hq

okay, i think(having read your other posts) that you might not be pinging. pinging usually happens when you run high compression, but it could also be your timing. sure, your pipe should cause things to compress a little better, but i doubt it would cause any pre-ignition.

how pre-ignition or pinging usually happens is when things get too hot or too compressed and the fuel air mixture ignites before your piston reaches the proper spot. with a low compression head i doubt this could be happening.

try putting a little extra gas tank on, with high octane gas in it. run it for a while and see if that makes any difference. higher octane is less likely to pre-ignite.

If you add octane booster is that just as good or not?

Perfekt Timing Angel /

Could it be engine noise resonating through the pipe? Steel tend to do this.

i think octane booster would help too. also for got to mention, what spark plug are you using? i would use a 7 or 8 on the ngk scale.

7 or an 8?? I thought it's supposed to be 5 or 6!

the higher the number the colder the plug, thats for ngks

ブロック 666 /

if you use octane booster be sure it 2t safe.Lucas octane booster in the red bottle is not

i think your exhaust is resoning, because of your engines vibrations. I have the same thing with my 103

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account