Getting my Hobbit up to Par

RJ (SoB) /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

hey everyone.

Yes I read the wiki, and have read into a lot of helpful advice, but I'm still looking for some more personalized help... So here it goes:

I'm trying to increase the performance of my bone stock '78 Pa50-II. Not looking to go 50, just want to get it tuned as well as possible with a stock setup.

right now it will go about 26 mph tops on level ground. 30 down hill.

I just torched/ decarbonized my exhaust yesterday, I couldn't really tell all that big a difference.

I'm not sure, but I think I may need a new drive belt...

my current one is the stock Mitsuboshi. It's adjusted all the way out. Is the belt supposed to have some good tension to it? As it is, it meets the requirement of being 2mm into the rear variator as the manual says, but I can easily squeeze the two sides of the belt together. I measured it and it's 42-1/2" long, and I thought I read it was only supposed to be 41". It squeaks sometimes on takeoff also, and there is black belt dust all over the inside of the belt cover. My guess would be that that's a bad thing...

I'd really love to go get a new belt from honda, but I'd also really love to not spend $80 on a belt.

Has anyone had any luck with other belts?

Also, If I'm going full speed/ full throttle down hill I hear a sandpaper like sound. Not sure what that's all about.

I've put 100 miles on this moped over the summer, and haven't had any problems with it, she runs like a top...

there are some weird things though.

It will absolutely will not start without the choke on. It also won't start without use of the decompression lever.

If I hadn't read about others' experiences on here, I would think it's normal, but most people have little problems starting their hobbits. It usually takes me 2-3 tries to start from cold.

If anyone has experienced any of these problems (or quirks) your input is greatly appreciated

...oh, and though I like my tomos for it's speed, the hobbit is still a way smoother, better accelerating, and more stylish ride ;) If only it would keep up with traffic

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account