excessively slow Puch Maxi

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

I have a 79 Puch Maxi II that will not go faster than 18 mph. No matter what I do. What is my first step in getting this thing moving faster, is it a timing issue or what? I put a Proma GP exhaust on it and it made zero difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: excessively slow Puch Maxi

Fred's guide in resources section.

Sounds like several things are goofy... what gears are you running? Try 16 front x 45 back, this is generally a good gearset, and came stock on many bikes. Though some had 14 tooth fronts to keep em slow.

if you have 16x45, look at your air filter-carb-exhaust pipe-jetting next. These are all together cause they need to be adjusted together, they are a single system. Mostly they will need cleaning now, clean em up.

Also, do your wheels turn easily, I had a bad rear brake once that dogged my bike to 20.

Perhaps follow the puch owners manual and get it doing what it was supposed to do originally first, about 25-30. It's in the wiki in pdf format.

Clean you carb, and make sure it doesn't leak.

Read the "moped repair" section to find others who are at your level. You gotta get it running right before you can tweak it up.

Most likely you have a 1hp model with the smallest ports ever... If you take off your carb and intake, I bet you will find that your intake port is a tiny round hole... Looks like there is a collar pressed in. What gearing ratio are you running? You can bust out the dremel and go to work on that crappy cylinder dude... Or I have a used stock cylinder with normal sized ports you can get for 25 shipped...

As I suspected you are in Ohio and believe it or not, the Ohio moped law is that it can't exceed 20MPH. Dealers in Ohio had to sell them that way and 18mph is the right top speed for an Ohio Puch from the 70s...

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

It has a 18 in the front and a 45 in the back. You're right about my ports, they are ridiculously small. I don't really care about the legality of my ped, I just want it to go faster. Is your cylinder in good shape? If so, I'll definitely take it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account