A fast(er) vespa

Since it's Ramadan I'm interested in "fasting" my vespa ciao. It already has a leovince pipe, 13.13 carb (with the bored out case intake), a grande rear wheel and variator, as well as the malossi belt.

What should be my next practical speed upgrade? A kit? Rear gears? Any suggestions Vespa gurus?

Re: A fast(er) vespa

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

take out two weights, shave the copper bushing off of your variator (youll see it, it sticks into the pulley spaces)

I also already shaved the copper bushing. Why take out the weights? How does that help?

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

it makes the variator rev higher before "dropping".

aka, faster acceleration.

but if you go too light, you engine wont "break" the vairaotr.

take out three weights, two will be unbalanced. get a 64 malossi or polini kit. the malossi multivar is better than an upgraded stock one, too. Also some port work and cutting the crank will help. What kind of air filter?

3 will be unbalanced as well.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

3 is more balanced than two in a 5 roller system.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

^^^^yup

Have any of you tried the 8 roller set up that zippy is selling?

About taking out the weights, I'm already getting tons of pickup. Just poor top speed...

What about the rear gear set?

oh and I've got the malossi red filter

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

just get a multivar in late sept/oct when malossi reopens and has em back out. If you are upgrading the variator anyways.

other than that, get a kit. thats the next step. then gears. unless you have 20mph gearing?

I'm not sure what the gear set up is called in numerics, but if you sping the wheel once, the variator turns 12 times.

Oh yeah...I havent run the stock variator in so long I keep thinking its got 6 like the Malossi. Heh. Maitland is right, of course.

12.25:1 is the stock gearing for the 30mph bikes. Get some 9.5:1 or 9:1s, but I'd kit it and change the variator first or at the same time.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

thats the normal vespa gearing.

get a kit and then the new 9 something gears.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account