rear free wheel teething

General Jackson /

I honestly love pedaling on take off and think it really helps your pickup and takes stress of the ped.

I was wondering what a good tooth ratio was for the freewheel so that it's more like a bicycle and less for pedaling at 7 mph to the gas station.

I'm thinking 20 tooth rear. but I want to know what the experts think.

Re: rear free wheel teething

On my Puch Maxi I put a 16t, and I would recommend 18t. The 16 is good power, but its just a little too small and the chain drags on the swing arm. Any bike shop can sell you one and install it for about $16

16!!!!!!! 20 is stock size dude. or is it 22.

16 ftw

Let that chain drag. It'll be fine

22 is stock 18 clears 16 drags but makes a big differance over 18.

General Jackson /

17 it is!

just kidding.

I'll probably go 18.

then eventually 16.

I like 18. It still drags a bit on the pressed steel maxi swingarm, but the ratio is perfect. I just ground a little notch in the swingarm for it.

i like my 18t . i think 16 would be to high for me.

Any issues with a magnum swing arm, does it still drag on them?

can't you just take some links out of the chain so it doesn't drag?

General Jackson /

that's what I was wondering. seems like an easy answer to that problem.

anyone know where to get said 18 tooth sprockets, or can I use one from a bike shop?

bike shop works. Just FYI removing the old one is normally a pain in the ass, your local bike who should be able to remove it for a few $.

Go to the bike shop, the one I went to swapped it for free since I had the wheel with me. The chain drags on the swingarm not because its too long, but because the freewheel is not as big and so the chain sits lower. I doubt it would drag on a magnum swing arm.

good luck finding a bike shop that can remove your old spocket. the shops around here suck , they told me sorry we dont have a tool that size.

i have changed 2 spockets so far and both of them were 30yrs frozen tight,i beat the hell out of then and they would not budge!

i ended up useing a dremel and i made cuts in the spocket then i took a chisle and split the spocket in half.

good luck!

Ya, it requires a special spanner wrench, but a bike shop should have it, it isn't that uncommon on bicycles... I think, like here in Co, if you aren't about to throw down $1500 on a new Trek, they kinda shy away from caring to find tools... A shop will either be Really cool or Really cagey, depending on the shop's (and the people's) character. For this reason, I come back later and ask a different person, someone usually has the balls to git 'er done, if you ask enough.

When people (or even just one person) at shops give a shit (makes some genuine effort), I later return and buy stuff from them; but if they consistently shit on me, I come pee on the side of their building, and my friends listen when I say a shop is being a dick, so they pay for shitty service like 10x. I am not unfair though, if they don't have the tool, they don't have the tool.

yup yup...

Those things are nearly impossible to remove without the wrench (on purpose), people almost always ruin them trying, even if they aren't that tight. Find someone with the wrench, give him a little tip or pay a couple dollars, it's worth it....

Just thinking out loud... Could you flip the chain tensioner so it lifts the chain up? Anyone tried that?

no that wont work if you plan to peddle

Oh come on, it doesnt drag that bad

where do you get the 18t sprocket? Will a bike shop have it?

shit talkin' hippy /

yup, Evan has 16s in stcok at re-cycles yo! used too probaby, for us cheep dudes

i got my freewheel for free. i recycled mine from the trash ,my neighbors threw away a bunch of bikes ,

someone posted a while back, like maybe almost a year ago, about a larger FRONT sprocket/pedal shaft combo that they got from mopedshop (for puch). does anyone recall this being mentioned? and does anyone know if mopedshop still carries such an item?

for puch, 3/32 or 1/8 will both work fine. get an 1/8 inch chain tho. 16th is fine. any bmx sprocket is fine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account