Motobecane gears

Where to get different gears for Mobys. I have a stock 50v (soon to have 15.15 delorto carb) and want to get a little more top end out of it. I figure this would be the cheapest way to get a few more mph out of her. This bike is my girls and I want her to be able to cruise with my kitted bike.

Steve

Re: Motobecane gears

the only gear in a moby is in the speedometer

sorry, sprockets!

Thanks, I looked on handybikes but got sick of looking after page ten on the motobecane parts list. I'm not that good at the internets.

You don't want to gear out a variated bike. It doesn't work like you expect.

we put a 44 tooth motobecane sprocket on a varriated bike that had like a 55 or something huge.. it goes 35-40 now..

and still takes off faster then my kitted e50

Tim Sandberg /

I've been thinking about regearing the rear moby sprocket too! I have a pulley coming in the mail that comes with an 11 tooth sprocket.. and I'm THIS close to ordering a 44 tooth rear sprocket from handybikes. My bike runs very solid as it is, I think it could definitely stand to have a higher gearing and get a bit more top end and make that variator think about it for a second before it kicks in.. if you get what I mean by that. As it is it variates hella quick.. meaning it could use a bit more resistance, eh? Thoughts? Hopefully I get a response before my moped-parts-ordering spasm takes control.

Your kitted E-50 needs work then.

Motobecane's with the 30mph cylinder will go 35-40 with the stock 54 tooth sprocket. Most bikes i've seen that have dropped their rear sprocket have terrible low end until they hit about 25mph, or start going downhill.

Tim, your variator opens based on engine speed, not "resistance." raising your gearing will just give you less rpms and less power to work with at any given speed, unless you re-weight your variator.

Tim Sandberg /

Well I'm eating the 20 bucks for the sake of experimenting. The moped-parts-ordering spasm set in about 30 minutes after that post :)

I realize the variator opens with rpms, but the greater resistance on via smaller rear sprocket>11 tooth pulley sprocket>belt will make it have to push harder to hit those rpms.. hmm..

Agreed it could very likely just bog it down and make it shitty.. I'm also going to be putting in a 2-ball plate in the variator.. I dunno, just experimenting with a lot of things right now.

They have a 48 tooth rear sprocket also. I need to get mine going and then mess around.

Hey timoby, what does your set up consist of? When you get your sprocket and try it out let me know how it works.

Tim Sandberg /

Right now its the stock 54:10 gearing, 15 dellorto.. Its either a 52 or 54 jet with the regular air filter. I can't remember the exact jet #.

Hey Bret, what jet neighborhood would you expect to be good for a stock set up + 15mm dellorto + uni filter?

Im waiting on a new pulley and new pedal axle bushings, my bike isn't runnable atm.. maybe they'll be waiting for me at home today! (yeah right).

Look how sexy!

Cool, cool. My 15.15 delorto should be here at the beginning of next week. Where did you get that pulley? I'm new to the French bikes. What is the advantage to this pulley and can you use the stock belt with it? Price?

Tim Sandberg /

http://www.la-becanerie.com

Il sera un peu difficile si tu ne parles pas le francais. Heh.

La Becanerie is kind of a last resort because the shipping from france is not cheap, even though their prices are reasonable. Better to contact u.s. shops and see if they have or can get stuff. Springing for this pulley wasn't really a smart move on my part :\ Hopefully its not a piece of junk.

There's no real advantage to this over stock pulleys, except that it doesn't have that crappy arm switch, its just fixed to the sprocket. It might be _slightly_ lighter, and wont have the slight crookedness my old pulley had.

I don't know what to expect from my kitted Minarelli (70cc Polini, 16.16 SHA, Techno Boss) but I have a feeling that the Moby will be able to keep up with little to no mods.

The advantages of that replacement pulley is it's much easier to change sprockets, and there is no chance the arm can come off and disconnect the drivetrain while riding. Although if you have to push it you have to remove the belt to keep the motor from engaging.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account