Malossi Ciao issue #2

OK, I've got the 64cc Malossi motor in the black ciao running and I'm in the process of breaking it in. It runs solid but when I get to the higher RPMs it starts hesitating (possibly missing). When it does this, I also get small backfires. It gets worse as I open the throttle more. It also seems like it only happens after the motor is warmed up but I'm not positive. After plugchops, the spark plug is a milk chocolate color. I'm thinking that my timing might be a little off. What does this sound like to you guys?

Re: Malossi Ciao issue #2

Timing or condenser failing.

I think it sounds like you shouldn't be running it into high RPMs during break in anyway, because you should be jetted rich (which it sounds like you are, and it should four stroke (which it sounds like you are). What carb and jet are you running?

wtf who the hell doesn't run into high rpms in break in. YOu people have bad break in myths. ALLLLLLLL kits and engine are broken in with in the first few miles if not the first 3. Break in consist of seeing if the air mixture changes and if you need to run prem gas or octane booster etc but anyways.

Sounds like timing to me.

Condenser is brand new.

I don't mean that I have open throttle for 1/2 mile high RPMs. It's variated so the motor gets going pretty fast quickly. 13/13 carb with a 68 jet. I have DR and Polini 64cc motors with the same carb on my other mopeds running great with 66 jets. I'll check the timing this weekend.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

by timing you mean point gap, as there is no way to time a vespa moped motor other than point gap.

Yes, I mean point gap. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll let you know how it goes.

OK. after replacing the points, condenser and taking the motor out and putting it back in untold number of times I finally fixed the problem. The external ignition coil was bad. Finally the Black ciao Lives!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account