Tecno Estoril on Polini kitted MKII

I recently picked up one of these pipes...

Has anyone installed one of these on the same setup?

Aside from the usual mounting issues I expected an improvement over my old rotted out BiTurbo... which I was running an 86 jet and it was smooth and relatively fast...

After a couple of days of jetting I have not been able to get anywhere near any sort of decent performance out of it!

What am I missing?

HELP!

Re: Tecno Estoril on Polini kitted MKII

oh I'm running a 15mm Bing....

do I need to advance the timing?

What jets have you tried and what air filter are you running? What do your chops look like?

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Contrary to popular opinion on MA, I've found the estoril to suck balls on both stock and kitted setups...

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

I hate estorils, but thats just me.

That said, I did ride a super fast polini on a za50 with one and it was pretty sweet, they just top out too low. I guess the bike was geared for low end (and it had it), so whatever.

But yea, puch estorils are a bit weak in my eyes. They work amazingly on 50cc's, but I've been unimpressed on any larger displacement.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Techno boss FTW. Got me up near 50mph with a 65 metrakit that isn't even broken in and jetted way too rich.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

yea I disagree there too. I'm all about n8p's and simo's. I don't really care the application. If you gear it correctly the two pipes will do wonders. Boss is great for the cost, but nothing else. Its cheap performance in every regard. The sacrifice on bigger kits is huge.

Also, proma circuit is like the best pipe ever, well almost. If it came stock with a bigger header and it was a bit more quiet it would be.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

oh yea, simo got 50cc's up to 46 with no porting (so thats an unmatched exhaust port), so yea, and with 16x36 on a za50, so it would get to 50 with 18x36 and it _pulls_

I've tried 86-104 jets with the stock Magnum air filter and a K&N hi-perf air filter...

I'm beginning to have serious doubts about this pipe!

fuck

I meant to say I tried 86-96 jets!

not sure if this would apply but portmatch?

Yeah... I know I know...

When I got the kit like 4 years ago I didn't really know enough to port match it...which I know is stupid... but at the time I just wanted to throw it on and it was so much faster with the biturbo I just let it go...

At the time it was faster than most of the dudes I rode with so it didn't bother me... but since then I've been getting smoked by a few bikes with newer port matched kits..

I'm planning to bring it inside when the weather gets cold...so maybe I'll just throw a bitubo on it till then just to make it through the rest of the summer..

Maybe the Estoril just cant be tuned without the port matching?

Is it just running too rich? I've seen a polini kitted e50 go as low as a 78 jet in a 15 Bing this time of year.

Thats a definite possibility.... I'm gonna check it out!

It was runnin a little rich with the 86 +biturbo

Dan, Dan, DAN!

We'll get that Estoril to go like mad.

Don't listen to Zack (he's a friend, so I can hate on him a bit....tough love, you know)...he's just a primo high end snob.

Simo this, n8p's that. Yeah, yeah....blah blah.....

For the money -110.00 you simply can't beat the overall performance of the Estoril. Simo will kill your low end unless you've got an 80cc kit. Estoril has the widest powerband with great torque.

I had my Magnum with it on there, 15x38 gearing, and it would pull close to 50 on a 15mm Bing.

Your big deal here really could be the porting on that Polini. But if not...I think you'll be right around an 88 or 90 jet. The humidity here is unreal. Lowers jet range by 2 steps I've found.

But don't worry, man.....believe me....that piece of SHIT Biturbo can't hold a candle to the Estoril. My brother just swapped out his nice Proma GP which is supposed to have great low end and good power for an Estoril on his Metra 65. He says there's literally no comparision. Esotril gives him higher top end and better acceleration.

I tried both those sizes... it would hardly run... the 86 is the only one that comes close to running smooth... but not fast...

I'm gonna go down a jet size or two just for the hell of it.....

When I first installed the pipe I had an exhaust leak and the thing screamed crazy fast... so mebbe if I lean it out a tad it will respond!

so me and my friend put an estroil on my new stock rigid free spirit. At first it was like this is ok faster than stock no doubt. Than we messed with jetting for an hour which closed the points from all the quick start stops.

So we advanced the points how much i don't know. All i know is it rips of the line and hits at least 30 if not faster.

So play with the points and timing there is tons of power to be had in there.

Only problem is the mounting now.

Yeah I'm thinking about the timing....

I downjetted to an 82 and I'm gettin it to rip a bit but only when I back off the throttle... it takes off...

I'm gonna try an 80 and play with the needle and see what happens.... its not running hot so I'm really confused lol...

If that doesnt do the trick I'll upjet and advance the timing

Dan -

Wrong.

You're already too lean. Waaaaay too lean, in fact. I know, this seems weird because you said it runs like shit otherwise...but that's a classic case of being lean. Running great...downright FAST with a light throttle...but when you bury it, it looses power. Mine did the SAME thing when I had an 82 in there. When I put a 90 in there it was NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I'm still fairly certain that you're going to be looking at an 88 or 90. I ended up with a 94, and most folks in SF ran a 96.

I'll come over and check it out tomorrow.

cool cool!

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Ben why do you have to doubt me? Say what you want, but I still blasted just about everyone, off the line and top speed with the simo that one night. Passed you like you were standing still!

The extra $30 for a simo is well worth it if you drop the extra $150 on a phbg and malossi 4 petal.

Hopefully you get it dialed in. I know you can make some good power with estoril.

Ah, Zack - I'm not hatin' on you that bad, man!

I never said the Simo isn't better than the Estoril....because it IS. I can't wait to get a Simo. = AWESOME.

However....as the Big O from WEEI 850 radio out here loves to say - 'you're making my point for me!'

Simo is only going to romp for you with 150.00 of extra parts. Dan doesn't need all that.

For 110 bucks flat, you simply cannot BEAT the all around power and torque and powerband of the Estoril.

As I said, man.....we're not all the uber, high end parts snobs like you west coast pedders.

Dan just needs this thing to blast his BiTurbo....which it will.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

haha, high end parts. I think I got just about all my stuff used or whatever.

That said, I'm sure he will see better performance than on that biturbo. Those have the worst header EVER.

everytime i hear about a kitted za ( or a non kitted one ) running that lean i always wonder if you have a tranny side leak pulling in tranny fluid and air and making it run super lean.

Check that out.

Is it blowing white smoke?

my bf has this on a 1-speed and his jets are in the 90's... but he also has a small air leak. we like to call it "performance."

and his case is slightly ported.

andrew-white smoke from a new exhaust is normal.

i'm running an estoril w/ my polini and 15mm bing (82 jet stock) w/ za50 non ported... yet and i top out at around 45? it's being ported as we speak and the fellow whos porting it for me estimated it going around 50 when this is done. keep in mind this is still with a 15 bing. i'm considering getting a 19 dellorto to go even a little faster than that.

no no no. carb's too big. read the manual for the polini! gosh. plus, you're jetted too low.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account