80cc case match

hey guys,

so my Metra 80 is in the mail and im wondering the best way to bore out my sleeve. i read what harold said about getting a 52mm bit...but i have went to or called every hardware store in this city and can't find a fucking 52mm bit. i though about free handing it with a dremel but that could get tedious and not come out good. please send me some suggestions. cheers

Re: 80cc case match

go to the machinist.

go to 1977.

or

go at it with a dremel. The first time always takes the longest because you are worried about fucking it up. After you know what your doing and how much material you need to take off you can do it pretty quickly. Before I realized i could machine it out with a vertical mill and a boring head I use to dremel em as well. Got to a point where I went at the case with a dremel and after cutting aluminum for 10 min was able to slide the kit in with very little movement. After it's close just wiggle the kit around a small amount, when you pull it out there will be dark areas where the kit was rubbing on the case.

no need to make a perfect sleeve bore. draw it out with a sharpie and take a dremel too it for a half an hour. be careful. If you over do it putty it up.

it is not critical that the sleeve goes in perfect. It just needs to go in. SPend more time matching your case to the ports on the kit. Your case studs will put the kit where it needs to be.

i think i have decided to have go at it with a dremel....what bits do you guys recommend using? thanks for the quick response

Yes you can do it by hand with a dremel. I just put it in the mill with a boring head... looks so much nicer but it wont make it go any faster... lol

dremel works but i like to use a drill with a 1inch cone shape grinding bit at low rpms. the aluminum is very soft ,at high rpms the bit can dig in and get away from you

woah yeah... i'd say vertical mill and flycutter.. you people seriously dremel that shit?

sketch.

naw dude dont call, they wont have a clue what you are talking about. go to an ace hardware. its a standard size. i cant remember what exactly its in inches. its just a standard sized grinding stone bit for a drill. it just HAPPENS to be the perfect size lol.

yo harold...good call on the ace. found the bit.....its 2 inches which = 51mm. close enough hopefully

yo harold if you can.... can you give me the most detailed instructions on how you do it. it would be awesome to have something to reference while i do it. thanks

Call a Bandit, get in the garage, use the press to get nice straight results. Should be simple once everything is lined up just right.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account