Getting the most out of my MK65

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Just put an e50 with an MK65 on my magnum on Sunday. GPS'd it at 46.9mph yesterday. It's not broken in yet, and felt like it could go up from there but I was scared to hurt it.

Setup:

-e50 w/ matched transfers

-MK65 w/ no extra porting

-15mm bing w/82 jet, needle second from bottom

-chromey hi-flow filter treats sells

-tecno boss pipe

-aftermarket 3 shoe clutch w/spring that came with it, all turned about 1.5 turns out from being flush with top of shoe arm

-15/40 gearing

Now after it warms up for a while, it had a bit o' trouble idling. Any suggestions there? Or any other suggestions on how to get the most out of this? I'd rather have a bit more torque than top end, since I really only do city driving.

Re: Getting the most out of my MK65

its probably a little bit rich on the needle

i would say that is a pretty big mainjet for that carb, usually mk's run around a 76-78, check the spreadsheet.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

I checked the spreadsheet, most were running 82 and 84 on a 15 bing. I wanted to run it rich for break in since I'm worrying about seizing it up. Never rode a bike with an MK65 before, and no one else here has one, so I want to be sure it's all good before I run it a bit leaner and go WOT.

Yo, Mike -

My bro is running the same setup on his ZA50. I've been tinkering with it for him and it's still running a hair rich with an 82 in the 15mm Bing.

I dropped the needle all the way down (leanest setting...) and it's better. I think where we are in Boston that an 80 is going to be great...maybe even 78.

There's no harm in going with the 82 for break in, however. It'll still do about 40 with power. Maybe run that for 75-100 miles and then down jet a bit.

I had a 82 in my metra. I would get it tuned with the proper jet and needle setting and run it 40:1 for awhile instead of the a jet that is too big. Just my .02 Anyway, glad to hear you got some more speed.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Thanks Ben. 100 miles was my plan. I have no way to measure exact mileage since my speedo/odometer is broken, and people keep resetting my GPS to check their own speeds. Bah.

Really what I'm wondering about is gearing and tuning the clutch. Those are two things I haven't messed with in the past since I really only rode stock za50s. Any suggestions for either of those?

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Yeah, I'm running 40:1 too. I'm gonna try dropping the needle to the bottom with the 82 to see if it's less boggy at idle. Probably need to go down to an 80 or a 78 to get it perfect-o, but I'm gonna run it rich for a bit.

I figure if I'm getting almost 47mph out of it on a slight incline, I should be able to get it over 50 easy once it's broken in and tuned well.

Have you thought about putting a bigger carb on it? Maybe a PHBG 19mm? The intake ports on those kits are big.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Yep, even have a 19mm PHBG and an intake for it, but on the magnum frame the carb won't clear the downtube and would have to sit at a 45 degree angle. I was thinking I'll get one of my IRE brethren to weld me an intake, but right now I don't want to get into tuning a PHBG (never done it before) when I'm trying to ride it this weekend at the KC rally.

take a maxi exhaust. lop off the header. clean it up. perfect 19mm intake.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Perfect intake for a hose or clap style? Or both? I've got a clamp phbg.

i use the hose style phbg.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account