MALOSSI VARIOTOP 3 return of the moby

***Kim Jong illest*** /

just call me moby-won-kenobi. im pretty sure everythings good to go now. god damnit i need to find my camera though. ill post up pics of the set up and ALSO dispell the myth that the variotop is larger than a stock moby. im gonna unveil it at the creature ride tonight and then the search is on for my camera. it will be last minute variator weight tuning so it might not be spectacular tonight but it will be deafeningly loud. wish me luck kids.

Re: MALOSSI VARIOTOP 3 return of the moby

***Kim Jong illest*** /

WHOA holy shit. OK so i got everything together, dremeled the lower fin on the kit to avoid rub from the side shield. however, i did lose the small allen wrench that came with my wieghts set so i wasnt able to adjust them. so i decided to take off anyway and wing it. well as some of you know i have quite an exhaust leak. so i took off down the road after walking it a block away to start it, which is quite a chore since the thing wants to engage at first push. the only way to do this was to hold the decomp in the whole time and hope it didnt start and it was screaming. i took off and god damn am i glad i had a helmet on, it was so loud. i went flying past a couple unloading crap on the side of the road and they both fell to thier knees holding thier ears. i started laughing but that got me thinking. so i looked down at my variator to see that it wasnt opening at all. i was shocked because i was still doing about 35. anyway before i could think about it a swarm of cops decended on me. 5 cop cars in total within about 3 minutes. appartenlyi had pissed people off with the noise for about 35 blocks. they said there was something like 20 calls about me, in 10 minutes. so aparently all 10 cops were looking for me and they all found me based on the sound of my bike, or so they said. if ever there was a time to fix this exhaust leak its now. but it didnt stop there. on my way home they made me push it, and since forward pushing makes it want to start i had to push it backwards. after they left i was like fuck it, im riding home. i shut off my bike a block and a half away and half of my neighbors were standing outside looking for what could be making the noise. most of them were lloking at me like, WAS IT YOU!? a few of them came to me and were like "i wondered what you were always working on in there" (my garage) then the dragon lady, the landlords number one crony came out to bitch me out in the best broken english she had. YOU NOT MAKE SO LOUD! IT NIGHT TIME! YOU MAKE TOO LOUD! HE TELL ME TO SAY TO YOU NO! i just laughed real hard because we are still tangled with the guy over an earlier eviction attempt. yep, variator weights and an emergency exhaust fix are next. but even without the variator opening the tug was intense. i cant wait to see what it can do.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

Damn josh you are awesome.

What pipe are you running? Still the ninja?

***Kim Jong illest*** /

nah im still running that old leo vinci. i got the wrong ninja. i thought the g3 was the good one. apperantly thats the g2. fuck it. next time im getting a doppler

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

cool cool. Maybe some of us will try and get up there for moped monday next week and ride. I'll send the memos out.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

or maybe moped wednesday?

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

maybe!

Get that kit fixed before you put a new pipe on there, otherwise you could end up damaging the threads on the pipe, and wouldn't you rather have a newly fixed kit before you put a brand new pipe on it?

To push your bike, just take off the belt....it's a lot easier.

We rode down the Great Highway tonight. It could of been us they were hearing in addition to you, and the cops were on us all night.

the G3 is good, the g2 is for 50 kits.

just get the doppler lol

or if the leo has more power for u keep using it and solve the thread issue

now that you got the variotop, might as well go for the doppler. although i question why the g3 isnt working for you.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

i dont know why the ninja didnt work out. for some reason it threaded in perfectly to a stripped kit but no matter how much i played with the jet sizes, needle settings, and mixure settings it just never dialed in right and ended up losing power. i hate to say this of the leo vinci since its so destructive but...its a pretty awesome pipe. now that i have a few pipes to compare it too i can tell you its a torquey pipe with a delayed "2nd" powerband at the end thats all stretched out. apparently theres this guy that runs a shop here in the city called morgan machining or something like that. well i guess hes the guy that fixed brets stripped exhaust. NOT SURE WHY HE DIDNT MENTION THAT EARIER AHEM AHEM, but im trying to get a hold of this guy to fix my exhaust. until i do i cant ride within 4 blocks of my house.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

if im not mistaken i assume the g3 is a top end pipe no?

yeah... but the doppler even more so... but you got a variotop. and the doppler is AMAZING. so yeah.

a couple of us mosquitos have had a hard time tuning carbs with the G3, naz says the doppler was much easier on his peugeot. why? i do not know. i too am giving it a go with the doppler this week.

Uncle Samson /

yeah josh, the g3 is really where its at. i say you give it another go

Yeah, Josh, I love my Leo pipe.

So true about the '2nd' power level it finds around 45mph. Paired with the Parmakit, it just wants to keep going higher and higher.....as far as I can tell it doesn't have a top end ceiling.

Did the cops give you a ticket or anything? I guess pushing it backwards is bad enough. But yeah... Allen is right....take the belt off!

Josh, i just took a peek at my engine and i thought i had seized the FAG reinforced bearings, but alas! the nutter backed off into my cases as well. from what i can tell with the variator still on, there is minimal damage, and i think its going to be ok, i'll find out tonight when i pull the vario.

Is this going to be an ongoing problem with the Variotop? i assembled mine properly using proper tightening and red locktite also. This sucks. maybe i'll weld a lil bead on there if it happens again.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

yeah that fucking nut doesnt really screw on very tight in the first place. when i put it all back together i used lock tite too. ill be super pissed if this happens again because it was a whore getting that damn thing off.

BEN did you used to live in san jose? yeah your right though, before my jug stripped i never got on a strip long enough to find the true end to the top of the leo either. if only it had a better knuckle design...

first im going to make a bigger than the nut, thin washer to put behind the nut, then bend the tabs outward to keep it from loosening. stealing one off my hobbit variator.

What are you guys talking about? The Ninja is a fine pipe and you shouldn't have to even re-jet it from a 96 much at all.

Not to patronize, are you sure you took out the restricting washer, Josh, cause that sounds totally off? What air-filter is on there?

Ian, you still running a 15 Dellorto? That's your problem. Your under carbed for a piston ported engine.

Sorry if this sounds bitchy, but Moped Mondays make me tired as fuck.

Yeah, Josh....San Jose Ben here.

I'm back in Beantown now with a whole different scene of 'peds. I would say only a handful of our riders are kitted. It's very strange.

I'm thinking of dropping some cash on a variotop, but man....it sounds like a whole mess of people have blown shit up using it. I liked Elliot's review of the Variplus....the nice 78.00 variator instead of 200.00+.

I did like Tom Weeks' ER3, however. Looked pretty badass and reliable.

My whole starter clutch is completely TOAST. Once the bike starts it rips. This could be a good time to just pull the whole mess and start fresh.

..... hmmm

i wish i had endless amounts of $$$ to try out all these parts myself. I don't believe the variotops all are going to have a continual issue with the nut backing out.

g3 rocks, super smooth and really great tip top end, but you will be hard pressed to get there w/o a very high rpm setup.

god there has to be some moped shop out there who will put all the moby pipes against each other with one kit setup and one stock in a grand parts review.

same goes for puch.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

allen, totally sure i took the restrictor washer off. even had to dremel off the weld bead for a flush stinger mount.

ben, grab your crew and come ride with us sometime, wed. nights

elliot, at this pace im working on it...

find your camera

***Kim Jong illest*** /

dude im working on it. and we just got a cat today so the pressure is really on.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

still...need...heavier...weights...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account