vespa malossi racing gears bicycle button

i've been meaning to post this for some time...

Has anyone using the 9:1 Malossi gears noticed that the bicycle engage button is very difficult to press in? Also that to disengage the button you have to manually turn the rear clutch?

I remove the plastic guard, and use a rubber mallet to engage the bicycle mode button.

Both my 12.25 : 1 stock gears and the Vespa 9.5 : 1 racing gears work just fine with the button...this problem is unique to the Malossi gears.

Re: vespa malossi racing gears bicycle button

hmmm. malossi racing gears can be a little light at first. make sure everything spins freely and break them in properly. maybe after a few hundred miles it will engage easier. PS do you really want to pedal so bad that you will hit the button with a mallet?

Where did you get Vespa racing gears??? can i buy them from you?

good luck. vepsa's are the shit!!!!

i got two pairs. one from fred in holland and one from benji treatshq.

i am selling one of the pairs on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Malossi-9-1-Racing-Gears-for-Vespa-Grande-Bravo-Ciao-Si_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35623QQihZ014QQitemZ330250806928QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

they are brand new and way below cost of all other dealers.

i've put more than 1000 miles on my other pair...i love 'em except the little button issue. I guess it would be nice to have the cycling option. if it bugs me i'll switch back to the vespa

9.5 : 1 gears, which are also fast but allow the button option.

Could you try a thicker gasket? I know the Malossi gears made the rear hub hard to turn at 1st on my hobbit. take a look at deans thing: http://ciaociaociao.wordpress.com/installation-of-malossi-gears/

ask him what happens if you run it when the gears are too tight in the case.

yeah, i actually have stacked 2 gaskets and it works fine. the gears are not tight at all and spin more freely than the stock ones, for me.

the gears are not tight at all, just the bicycle button function seems faulty with the gears.

mike, if you read the last comment, it appears someone else had the same problem and fixed it by (maybe) reversing the main gear? hard to say, he's from the netherlands.

thanks for the note james.

i tried reversing the large gear with the "MALOSSI" inscription on it and that had no effect on the bicycle mode

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account