MALOSSI VARIOTOP PART 2 (electric boogaloo)

***Kim Jong illest*** /

yeah so i got the whole thing together. the variator, the clutch pulley, got everything timed and running great. everything installed and guess what, the variotop doesnt bang the pulley. its actually smaller than the stock variator.

anyways, it was smooth as silk. little slow off the line but nothing a little variator weight tuning couldnt fix. when she was on baby she RAN! SO SMOOTH! right up until i seized. it just happened so im going to let her cool off a bit before seeing what happened. cross your fingers and say a prayer for me guys.

Re: MALOSSI VARIOTOP PART 2 (electric boogaloo)

Dang man you just can't seem to catch a break.

pics!

***Kim Jong illest*** /

ok ill post some pics after i get this new fish tank upstairs.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

after a brief look i think i may not have seized, but rather the rear nut i forgot to torque down and i think it just slid out and tightend the thing. if that makes sense. pics later i promise.

my fingers are crossed.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

HOLY SHIT! ok heres the skinny. in a rush to get this awesome piece of italian engineering on, i forgot to torque down the rear nut that holds the back plate in place. SOOO... heres the score. the nut started to untiwst, TOWARD the engine, as it did the rear plate also unthreaded in that direction. THEN as the nut came loose and the back plate unthreaded it got to a point of tightness against the case. this made the back plate start to grind into my jug and lodge itself. it all looks like maybe fixable but god damnit i fucked this one up bad. good thing i hae so many spare cases. but if thats the case i also have to re-match the case half to the jug. AND the nut an that back plate ate a little metal on the case, it looks bad but could be ok. keep those fingers crossed.

i am graciously accepting my jackass of the year award. thank you.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

ok not siezed. just jackassed. gonna rebuild...sigh...

Uncle Samson /

definitely deserves an award :)

FYI, case halves are a matched set and generally arent interchangeable. and if its not hitting your pulley, chances are the weights are too light. the stock variator is less than 100mm in diameter and the variotop is 115.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

what are you talkin about? im not dissing your expertise here or anything but i have a HUGE bag of case halves and their all the same. lefts and rights. one has grooves one doesnt. ill just use another left.

also i put them back to back, the stock variator is definitly larger, by like half an inch all around. at least mine is. i was surprised too.

Case halves are matched sets. Trust me, when you start mismatching them you will notice sometimes the cases won't come together because the bearings depths are not set right. Godspeed, you may get lucky.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

JESUS CHRIST FUCK! WHERE DOES IT END WITH THESE FUCKING FRENCH BIKES! WTF!

Don't even get me started, My head pivot bolt is worn out now and the motor moves around a lot, WTF?

***Kim Jong illest*** /

well either way ive got about oh 35 cases to choose from. SOMETHING in there has to match up right.

Oh and the case halves have numbers on them like B22 and B23 but matching numbers do not indicate they are a matched set. I've seen stock engines that have never been split with two different sets of numbers on them. I have no idea what they signify

I think if you collect ALL the numbers you win a trip to France, where, upon arrival, you get a slap in the face.

hey man just use another set of cases if u got so many, and to tell the truth I have found different sets that matched b4, not "every" set is different.

anyways that sucks, but sounds like u don't have to use another case no??? can't u just use the same one? maybe i will say no when i see some pics.

sux dude.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

well today ill be cutting new gaskets and such so well so how shes runs after that. seems kinda stiff now but we'll see. if i can find my friggin camera ill take some pics for sure.

josh i told u, u would learn alot more w/o any help, trial and error dude.

i used to just buy moby motors to stock up on, cuz they where so cheap and easy to get compared to rebuilding them. lol.

***Kim Jong illest*** /

if only i vould go back in time and say yes elliot, i will buy your parma kit.

yeah im learnin plenty but its also good be able talk about it to someone. would have NEVER guessed about the moby cases.

"of course I'll sell you my parmakit, why would I need and AV7 kit, I have an AV-10 now"

I regret these words.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

oh come on now, av10's are so easy

they just require 2 times your monthly rent in parts and at least that much time in frustration!

my 50cc engine is still just sitting there, waiting for me to put the head and carb on. lol.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account