Making a killer E-50

ERIC WOOLF /

I just dismanteled a e-50 motor and found a lot of worn stuff. I have a few bucks and want to make this a badass screamming bitch. This is a stock motor. Is there a kit offered with everything needed to do this? I would like to make it the largest displacement with out doing a lot of maching to the case, help me out on this and thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.

Re: Making a killer E-50

Eric Woolf, hello. I am Travis. I live in Seattle and I attend the Mosquito Fleet. (Pronounced: Mo'skito Flee'T). I would recommend a simple and easy to install kit such as the Metra 65. I have not in fact installed said kit, but from reading many hearty posts on this here forum I have come to the conclusion that it is one mighty solid kit. And easy to locate to boot. Like they say about Hookers, "if they come, it's fun."

I would also recommend replacing all "worn" parts. We don't want our thirty year old machine looking or acting any older than it already is now do we?!

You can go big and get your case machined by the pros at 1977mopeds.com. http://www.1977mopeds.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=166&zenid=1c0ecf276bdb46a514b16bcad815ef41 .

I'm currently doing what you're thinkin of doin. I chose a 64cc Polini cylinder. I case matched it. That wasn't too rough a task, but it was nerve-racking till I got confident about it. Just start on the fatter chunks first so you can get used to the flow of it so you can be nice and tidy when you get around to the smaller chucks. I put a new DMP teflon stuffed crank in the case. I put new bearings and seals in to replace all the old ones.

I followed the directions in the wiki for rebuilding a Puch E-50. It was easy and super fun. I'd recommend buying a couple tools for replacing the bearings. that 3 jaw puller, and the tie-rod separator. Auto stores here rent out the 3 jaw puller for a refundable twenty bucks, and the tie-rod separator is ten bucks-ish.

Parts don't make a moped fast. Tuning does.

But parts help...

ERIC WOOLF /

Wow Thanks for all your replies. Now if i can find my check book I can get rocking.

I see quite a few posts from people that want a bigger kit on their E-50's, "but don't want to do any work on the engine" - i.e. case-matching.

If you're gonna drop the money for a kit, doing a case match of the transfer ports is one of the best things you can do to maximize your investment!! It's not hard to do either, and very difficult to royally screw it up. (Now porting the cylinder is a different story).

All you need to do is lay the new base gasket on the case, mark out where you need to open the bottom case and start using a rotary tool. The satisfaction (and performance) you'll get from doing it is very gratifying.

Eric, you've already got the engine open - do it right! Read the Wiki on REbuilding an E-50 for a great how-to, and find a friend who might have done this if you're nervous. I did it myself on a Metrakit just from the Wiki, and it turned out terrific. Go for it!

ERIC WOOLF /

I'm on it brother

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account