dumb moby question... I need a smarty pants

ok, so first off. I have had the best/worst luck with mobys, My first moped was a moby and I have had a love/hate relationship ever since. I sold my last one last week in an angry fit when I wrecked her, than today I just got another on accedent? fate? ugh french is so sexxy. anyway... what I really need to know... this is one of those rigid orange jams with the non-variated engine. is it way hard to variate the bad boy or should I just enjoy the inevidible 25mph cap? it's has the same mounts as the regular variated 50v or whatever, so I assume it's not way too hard to do, I just want to hear from someone who has done it and knows their moby, and maybe it's really easy and al I need to do is put on one of those variplus kits right? haha, wishful thinking, yes?...

Re: dumb moby question... I need a smarty pants

Have no fear, it's easy. Swap the dimoby clutch out for a variator, and either swap the spring guide for the fully opened one or just cut the spring path out so the motor can swing all the way back. The only other difference will be with the gearing, the rear is usually a 47 or some such thing while the front may be as high as 13. The usual variated gearing is 11:54 since the front opens up so much higher.

rad, that's what I wanted to hear... soon, I'll be mobytastic again!

Dude, you got a rigid frame, which is a score to some.

How fast are you looking to go? Also, try and figure out what speed cylinder you have. I was lucky to get a fast cylinder that did 38, but identifying one can be tricky.

It would be better if you were able to get a hold of a 4 ball variator, as opposed to three.

sorry again for the dumb questions, but I am relatively new to moby's actual workings...

are four ball variators stock on some bikes?

Variator kits? seem like they have been getting bad rep, from price and performance.

The head badge says 25mph

I've got a parts motor, what should I look for to tell me if the variattor is still good?

Are four ball variators stock on some bikes? _No, I don't think so, but you can get one from Bret. A three ball variator that has one ball removed will work fine_

Variator kits? seem like they have been getting bad rep, from price and performance. _The Variplus works well as long as your rubber engine mounts are in good shape_

The head badge says 25mph __Jesse can tell you if they can be ported with good results_

I’ve got a parts motor, what should I look for to tell me if the variator is still good? _if the plate slides freely and the balls move_

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

hippy, you also want to make sure that the variator is still round. Quarterkick has brand new 4 balls from france, just shoot them an email. You can do some fantastic stuff to a slower cylinder to make it fast. I was running a 25 mph cylinder with some piston cutting/crowning and a 15mm intake and carb and hit mid 30s.

oh yea, you can port those out just fine, the usual on all of it, the intake side makes a huge difference, and also raising the exhaust a bit, although over raising makes them run bad off the line so go wider than taller. 1.5mm off the piston skirt is a good start on that. Following the blue pages works great, and don't forget to mill the head, works wonders.

awesome, thanks y'alls I wanna get one of those new variators, alas I am probably just gonna use the parts motor, and do some modest porting, then attempt to make a snail pipe, to work, with the pull

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account